PDA

View Full Version : Non Small Cell Lung Cancer Rate of Growth

Tompkin
08-11-2005, 12:54 PM
My father at age 62 died within a month of his state iv non small cell lung cancer diagnosis, the cancer was in his blood, both lungs, brain and bone. The only symptons he had was a bachache and "having bad days".
I am wondering at what rate NSCLC grows, it must be quick. How long does it generally take to move through state i to iv. I know the chemo and surgury affect time frames, however it must be quick from all I've read.
Also, the percent of people who survive if available.
Thank You,
Debbie

adr22367
08-11-2005, 11:29 PM
My Dad was diagnosed 13 months ago with stage 4, and he's still doing fine, going to work and working out.

amakis
03-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Does your dad have squamous cell, adencarcinoma, small cell, or large cell cancer?

mark`edmonds
03-13-2006, 10:17 AM
nsclc is the slowest {adenocarcinmoma] of the lung cancers with small cell the quickest

amakis
03-13-2006, 02:40 PM
My dad was just recently diagnosed with Stage IIIB Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the lungs and throat. The throat is recurrent from 4 years ago, but the lung cancer is new. My dad, 6o years young, and never a smoker is very stunned by this diagnosis. I am doing whatever I can to give him hope. The doctors have told him 6 months to 1 year, while I just keep praying that they are giving the worst case scenario and that my dad will outlast that time frame. I think I have accepted that cancer will eventually take his life, however, I am unwilling to accept that it could happen so quickly. I am basically clinging to any success story I read. He is recieving his treatment through the military, my mom asked about Tarceva, and was told it is a clinical trial. She didn't have a clear answer as to weather he'd qualify- I thiink the doctors brushed her off.

Jennifer16628
03-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Amakis.....I am very sorry to hear about your dad. My mother was diagnosed with stage 3b adenocarcinoma on Feb. 10th. What kind of treatment have the doctors proposed for your dad? I don't really believe Tarceva is still a clinical trial as my moms oncologist (with Kaiser) has it as part of her treatment plan following an agressive round of chemo/radiation. We did ask about Tarceva alone or first and THAT has not been studied yet (or perhaps is still in trial stage), but it has been tested and IS being used in conjunction with chemo/radiation plans. Her doctor also said that if the tumor does not respond to the chemo and radiation than she will be placed on Tarceva right away. Please keep posting to let us know how things are going for you and your dad. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

prayingforwisdom
03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
according to the sloan kettering web site--being eligible for Tarceva you have to be diagnoses with lllB or lV adenocarcinoma of the lung that has not been treated with chemo-------at 3 weeks passed since prior radiation----patinents must be never-smoker of former light smokers--patient must not be confined to bed of chair for more that half their norman waking hours. If you check out other hosptials i am sure they would have more inof

adr22367
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
My Dad is a former heavy smoker (was 5 packs a day) and he was on Tarceva.