PDA

View Full Version : possible recurrence

kafish
11-06-2004, 10:55 PM
I was diagnosed over 2 years ago with squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil with lymph node metastasis, stage 4b. I underwent a modified neck dissection, radiation and chemo. I have had clear scans, however in the last 2 months, I have had a feeling of something stuck in my throat on the left side( that is where my cancer originated). I have some referred ear pain, however not constant, as well as tingling around my mouth and chin. My throat does not hurt to swallow, however it does feel irritated, like a burning sensation, but mostly on the left side. I saw my ent/surgeon in october, and he gave me a full exam, stating everything looked good. He said something about gerd and to start taking zantac ( I do have constant heartburn for which I am taking tums). He also said something about scar tissue. I had a chest xray in july which was all clear, but I feel he is reluctant to scan me because I am 7 months pregnant :d . I will be having a ct in january after the baby is born, but I cant help feeling like the cancer is back. It is consuming me. I just want the rest of my pregnancy to be stress free. I'm sure I can insist on a scan, but if it has recurred, what are my options. Any advice? Anybody have similar symptoms? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

leo
11-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Hello

As you pointed out, it is a problem to get a CT scan when you are pregnant. One thing that can happen is scarring and problems related to the radiation that you received. But you certainly need to have a repeat CT scan, after you deliver.

regards,
Leo