PDA

View Full Version : Calcified breast lumps?

Redsox081904
11-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Could someone please tell me what is a calcified breast lump? Thank you

Link
11-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi,
I am not certain, but I think you may be refering to "calcifications". Sometimes during a mamogram to diagnose a breast lump, they find calcificatins in or around the lump. Small, tightly clustered calcifications need further investigation. Large calcifications, widely spaced apart are generally considered safe and just a sign of normal wear and tear of breast tissue.

I hope that this is a correct response to the term that you are referring to.

imadare6
12-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I have just had 2 surgeries, first to remove calcifications, think I had 3 very tiny ones. The margin was not clear on one side so he had to reexcise and then it was clear. I did not have any lump. These are tiny things that when arranged a certain way has the possibility of being cancer. They actually call DCIS, in Situ as being precancerous, even though the cells removed are dead cancer cells. (A rose by any other name.) DCIS can also be invasive which is worse though they say both can be cured. I am now waiting to hear if I can have MammoSite instead of the 6 week radiation treatment - and getting very antsy.
Peggy

Muttsmom
12-22-2004, 05:08 PM
I don't know why a doctor would say the word Cure when it comes to any kind of breast cancer, there is no cure. You can stay NED (No Evidence of Disease) but any dx of BC has the chance of coming back, either in the same breast or the liver, lungs, brain etc.
I don't know if this is the norm, but a friend of mine had microcalifications but none clustered enough to do a biopsy on them. They waited and watched even though she had BC in the other breast the year prior and wanted another mastectomy. Finally, when they did cluster enough for a biopsy, it was cancer. Not to say this is true for everyone, and I know in some cases, not many, that you have to wait and see if there is no way to check them out. I might get a 2nd opinion and definately stay on top of it. IF it is cancer, some are very slow growing and some are very aggressive.
Praying for B9 for you
Nancy

kaz
01-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Imadare6
Please could you tell me more about the surgeries you had to remove calcifications. I am in the same situation that you were in, calcifications and no lumps. Did you have a biopsy, what type did you have? I am waiting for an appointment for my biopsy, unfortunately I don't know type of biopsy I am going to have yet. Thank you in advance and I hope all is well with you.
kaz

Madge
01-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi Kaz,

I know this is a horrible time for you, worrying and wondering. I had microcalcifications and ended up with a sterotactic bx. It really was ok, not too uncomfortable. You lay on a table that has a hole your breast falls into. They "clamp" the breast and look at live pictures so they can see where they need to go. They take multiple biopsies about the size of a pencil lead ---- but only after you are numbed. I had a wonderful nurse who explained everything before it happened. Once I was diagnosed I opted for a bilateral. I had a biopsy on the opposite breast three years previous for calcifications and my mother had Paget's disease which is a form of cancer of the breast. Also, my total area was >5CM and I am older so a bilateral seemed the most sensible.

I wish you luck and know that you are among a very caring and sharing group of women on this website. Don't be afraid to ask quesitons. Write your questions down, if indeed you have BC (and you may not!) start a diary, take a familymember/friend with you to visits ... another pair of ears is priceless,

Bless you!

kaz
01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks Madge. I have been told today that I am to have a core biopsy, hopefully my appointment will be sooner than later. Thank you for sharing your experience - the biopsy procedure doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would be.

Will keep you informed of my progress
Thanks
Kaz

leo
01-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Nancy and others

I have to add that there is definitely a cure for early breast cancer. Early stage tumors that are completely resected and are < 1 cm and non-invasive can be considered cured. I have seen many patients that are cured from breast cancer, and they do very well.

regards,
Leo