PDA

View Full Version : Unusual lump

Beth
11-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Just a few days ago I noticed my left breast was slightly larger than the other and was red just on the outside edge of the areola. There is a lump that you can feel with the softest touch of your finger. The lump is sore, but does not hurt to where a bra. I am worried, I am just 23 years old and have a 5 year old daughter. Noone in my family has ever had breast cancer. Please help me ease my mine.

penelopez
11-24-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Beth,

You really need to get this checked out by a doctor asap. Most lumps (80 percent) are benign but there is no way of knowing what it is unless you get a mammogram and an ultrasound and a clinical breast exam. Plus, you have your age working in your favor. BUT young women can and do get breast cancer. Not saying that is what you have (could be a cyst or a fibroadenoma) but you need to find out. You also need peace of mind. Most women who get breast cancer do not have a history of it in their family. Any lump, thickening or other change in the breast HAS to be checked out.

Hugs to you. I am keeping my fingers crossed you get good news.

Margie

Beth
11-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Thank you for replying with so much concern. I will have to wait til January sometime...sue to switching jobs and not having insurance until then. I hope that will not be to long. If any changes in the lump I will have to bite the bullet and just go and pay the out ragious bill.

Muttsmom
11-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Beth,
I don't think anyone could have said it better then Margie. She's right on the money about everything, so, there is no more to say...lol Please keep us posted on what you find out. Since some surgeons are booked between surgeries and being in the office, you might want to find one that is recommended to you and go ahead and schedule it in advance.
Good luck
Nancy

Minnlady13
11-25-2004, 01:47 AM
All I can do is echo Margie's good advice. I hope you schedule an appointment for January, just as soon as the insurance goes into effect. YOu need to know what you are dealing with for certain. Please keep us posted. We will walk by your side no matter what the outcome. Hugs, Lauri