PDA

View Full Version : Multiple myeloma, smoldering

Blu
09-08-2012, 01:35 AM
What treatment can be done at an early stage or is it w&w?

Didee
09-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Hi Blu. I can not answer you and I think these questions are best put to the oncologist.

Maybe someone will be along who has knowledge of treatment protocols though.

timeshifter
09-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Outside of a clinical trial setting, smoldering multiple myeloma is typically not treated with medication since it may take many months or years for things to progress. It is clinically monitored every 3-6 months with history, physical, lab work that will track the monoclonal (myeloma) protein/serum light chains, electrolytes, kidney function, blood count, and occasional urine studies. Skeletal survey x-rays are typically done yearly, since new lytic lesions would then be diagnostic criteria for progression to myeloma and an indication to start treatment. Depending on one's overall health, there are numerous effective treatments now for myeloma, and close clinical monitoring usually allows people to be treated early enough that the chances for any immediate complications from their disease which decrease their quality of life are minimized.

dpdemos
12-26-2012, 04:46 AM
I was just diagnosed with SM, according to my Hematologist/oncologist. Bone marrow biopsy was performed immediately after he saw a very small lesion in my right humerus bone. He started me on Revlimid, Velcade, and dexamethasone (RVD). He said my numbers he was charting wouldn't have yielded his diagnosis. It was the bone scan (xrays) that he conducted because I told him I was having pain in those bones. So, I'm trusting that his treatment plan will be the best for me. It's been an interesting Christmas.

Georgia Bicycle Rider

timeshifter
12-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Best of luck with the treatment. To clarify though, somebody found to have a lytic lesion in the bone would fulfill diagnostic criteria for multiple myeloma. RVD is certainly an appropriate treatment for someone who's been newly diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

dpdemos
12-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Happy trails.

ChemoMan
12-28-2012, 12:47 AM
I humbly and respectfully request that diagnoses that contradict that of my hematologist / oncologist be withheld, or identify yourself as a qualified medical professional if you do.

My desire is to give and receive support with others who are facing similar challenges.

Thanks Hi

Your post has me very confused. if it was directed at Timeshifter then you are on the wrong track because Timeshifter confirmed to you why your doctor proceeded as he did. Timeshifter did not give any advice contrary to your doctor.

Anyway I hope this goes well for you. The is every likelihood that this will work and you will be celebrating Christmas for many years to come. I am looking forward to reading your Christmas post for 2013 ;)

Good Luck and happy New Year to you and yours

Didee
12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Time shifter agreed with your Oncologist and s/he knows what s/he is talking about.