PDA

View Full Version : Is this good or bad news?

glm777
02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Last week my mom went into the hospital for gall stone removal from her bile duct. It turned out that she has a mass - not gall stone. They did an abdominal CT scan and it showed no other cancer - it seems to be contained in the bile duct. They did a "brush" biopsy when they did the scope and hoped to get info as to whether the tissue was a malignancy from pancreatic cells or from the bile duct itself. The biopsies came back showing NO cancer cells! The doc says that this is not uncommon for this type of cancer and while they would need a tissue sample to 100% diagnose, there really isn't anything else it is likely to be. My concern now is - could the tumor be in her bile duct and still show no malignant cells? Or is it now more likely that the tumor originated somewhere else? They specifically said that the tissue was on the inside of the duct - so why no malignant cells?
I'm so confused and don't know whether to be excited or more scared. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

rlee
02-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Interesting situation. I would wait for the full pathology report to return from the surgery. If the cancer was caught early, then all of it could have been resected. A less common type of cancer does arise from the gall bladder and bile ducts, which can be difficult to treat. The pathology report will provide a lot of information including the extent of the cancer. Often it will reported if the margins are free of cancer, which is a good thing. Await for the full report and review with your medical team.

RLee, MD