PDA

View Full Version : Essiac Tea?

siulong
09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed but was wondering if anyone has used the four herb made into Essiac Tea / Capsules or Flo Essence?. If you have taken it, what did it do for you in your opinion?

Kermica
09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi siulong, on this Forum we are believers in therapies that can withstand the srutiny of scinetific testing for effectiveness and safety. Essiac tea has no demonstrated value in actually treating cancer and the animal studies that have been performed are questionable, at best. In reasonable quantities, it woun't hurt you but it won't stop cancer either. Below is a quote from cancer.gov on the overall effectiveess of this tea, and here is the link to the full article: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/essiac/patient/page2

Have any preclinical (laboratory or animal) studies been conducted using Essiac or Flor Essence?

Research in a laboratory or using animals is done to find out if a drug, procedure, or treatment is likely to be useful in humans. Animal tumor models are used to learn how a cancer may progress and to test new treatments. These preclinical studies are done before any testing in humans is begun. The following laboratory and animal studies of Essiac have been reported:

In the mid 1970s, the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York City tested dried and liquid samples of Essiac in 8 experiments involving the S–180 mouse sarcoma tumor model (a type of animal model used to study treatment). Researchers found that Essiac did not make the immune system more active and did not act as an anticancer drug.

In the early 1980s, researchers at MSKCC tested Essiac again. They found no anticancer activity after doing 17 studies that used a variety of animal leukemia models and other tumor models.

In 1983, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) tested a liquid sample of Essiac in the mouse P388 lymphocytic leukemia tumor system but found no anticancer activity. Very high doses of Essiac killed the test animals. Scientists, however, do not know how this finding applies to people who take more than the maker's recommended doses of Essiac.

In 2004, a laboratory study at Indiana University-Purdue University reported that Essiac slowed the growth of prostate cancer cells.

Studies of Flor Essence have shown differing results:

Two laboratory studies reported that Flor Essence made tumor cells grow.

Another laboratory study reported that high doses of both Flor Essence and Essiac herbal teas reduced the growth of cancer cells.

A 2004 animal study of Flor Essence found that it increased breast tumor growth in rats.

Laboratory and animal studies have reported on the effects of some of the chemicals found in the different herbs used to make Essiac and Flor Essence. These studies report that certain chemicals may:

Prevent cell damage that can lead to cancer.
Reduce swelling, redness, and pain.
Have an effect on the body similar to the hormone estrogen.
Kill cancer cells.

It is not known if taking Essiac and Flor Essence products can give humans enough of the chemicals that produce these effects.

So, if you have cancer, see a doctor would be my advice, good health,

kermica

siulong
09-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Thank you, I have been doing a lot of research on the internet about these two and just wondering if anyone has used them and what where their results. I have read a lot of testimonials on amazon.com and other websites that seemed positive and that is why I asked. I know a lot of doctors will tell people not to take anything unless prescribed by a doctor unfortunately herbs can not be prescribed so therefore not recommended.