PDA

View Full Version : Urostomy anyone?

islandman
10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
I am still fresh from my arrival and raring to go. Although my current problem is bowel cancer and awaiting the is it malignant or not? meeting, I have a urostomy, in fact had it 25 yrs, and without appearing to come over as big headed, which I'm not, there isn't much I haven't come across in this particular field.

What I will say is this, if it looks as though you are destined to have major abdominal surgery which will lead to a urostomy (common name ileal conduit), then in all probability you will have a better quality of life after. So must so, some of you might even wish it had been carried out earlier/sooner.

Throughout, I will try not to keep referencing me as no two people are alike, but if I do, I will try to keep it short.

So many people have urinary diversions for all manner of reasons. Prior to this though, a surgeon may carry out any variety of procedures. One is an augmentation cystoplasty. This is where a section of bowel is removed, the size of a loo roll, and that is opened up to create a patch that replaces an infected area in a bladder. This requires bladder re-training.

Actually I will stop now, just to test the proverbial water and see if it brings much of a response. Feel free to through as many questions as you like, I'll see what I can do. Remember though I am not a medic, just someone with 25 yrs and a wealth of information gathered from.........................................that' s for another time.

dianeg46
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Hi, I will be having my bladder removed in Feb and will be getting the Ideal Conduit and I am very nervous. Any info on this would be helpful.

Hope2012
01-31-2013, 03:59 AM
My dad had primary bladder cancer and had it removed. Instead of a urostomy, the surgeons resected a part if his bowels to create a new "bladder". It was a new procedure back then (20 years ago). It was a success...he wore depends for about 2 months after surgery until he was able to re-learn the sensation that he had to pee, but he soon was back to "normal".