PDA

View Full Version : It seems I'm a magnet for this hooey...

MissMuffins
01-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Apparently, if you just take these vitamins, it'll cure your neuropathy!

http://neuropathytreatmentgroup.com/landers/1/?gclid=CL2_1_yM97sCFUVyQgodBH8AMA

This is actually a decent exemplar of a "better done" scam ad...they include contact info for a "real" person who's successfully used the product, they incorporate the logos of several reputable organizations, they reference several studies, and they are pretty careful to suggest all those org's back their snake oil, without actually coming out and saying so.

MM

Baz10
01-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Mm,
I didn't even bother to open the link.
I guess you zapped them ?.
Barry

Didee
01-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Zapped them?
Have you put a thread in the Mod forum, Baz, to alert Emily so the tech team can block them?

Thanks, MM, we are trying to keep crap like this off this forum.

Baz10
01-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Di,
You dont know what Zap means !. Lol
Zap is a Blightie expression for terminate.
At it was MM's original action I merely asked had she "Zapped" them.
Barry

ChemoMan
01-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Google ads are text sensitive for any search you have done on Google or anything you type. I think we need to take a rational response to these. If it is not highly offensive then please let it ride otherwise we end up causing extra headaches for others.

You can always get ad blockers and this is an advantage if you have a lo speed connection. They will block all ads.

Didee
01-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Which is why I never see them.

ChemoMan
01-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Which is why I never see them. Perfect example :)

Baz10
01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
So how am I getting Google addies for Chinese tarts, I don't go there promise.
As well as numerous bottom page adds that seem to lock onto certain key words in the body of forum posts, not what I input.
I've tried every way to amend the google adds by resetting the add filter parameters. No luck.
Baz

ChemoMan
01-15-2014, 08:23 AM
As well as numerous bottom page adds that seem to lock onto certain key words in the body of forum posts, not what I input. Yes I noticed that as well.

MissMuffins
02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Google ads are text sensitive for any search you have done on Google or anything you type. I think we need to take a rational response to these. If it is not highly offensive then please let it ride otherwise we end up causing extra headaches for others.

You can always get ad blockers and this is an advantage if you have a lo speed connection. They will block all ads.

I subscribe to OpenDNS, use AVG, and have the browser security settings set fairly tight. Between them, they block quite a lot.

If I've read a post where someone else mentions alternative treatment, I get like-themed ads.

I also get them if, while using facebook, I click on something about nutrition that turns out to be an ad for a natural remedy. For example, I clicked on a photo of some very lovey fruit skewers thinking I'd get a "materials list" for them, and it turned out to be an ad for a natural remedy. The next few times I visited the forum, I was bombarded with ads for gardia camboggia or whatever it is that's supposed to cause miracle weight loss.

A gal ought to be able to look up recipes and information about her own medications, vitamin and mineral supplements without it resulting in a flood of ads for quack cures to cancer on this forum.

MM

Didee
02-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I have adblock plus, an add on for firefox and never see adds.
There will be others out there suitable for whatever browser you use.