PDA

View Full Version : I could use your two cents- what the heck do I feed her??

Lucia G.M.
07-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Ugh, I'm new to this cancer monster. Mum has pancreatic cancer- not even sure that's the primary as she has also had H.Pylori and a number of other stomach infections,has tumors on her stomach, duodenum, jejunum, a part of the small intestine, liver mets, the pan.tumor reaches into the spleen hylus, peritoneal carcinomatosis, some bloody ascites, deposits in the omentum, high bilirubine, a gall stone and a met pressing against the bile duct thus obstructing it. She also has varices in her stomach.
My point being, that this is so complex that I don't know what her "safe" foods are. Her docs just say go with what you can eat but she's been in so much pain that I'm afraid to go the trial and error route as I don't want to provoke more pain.
She's not on chemo yet, they're still waiting for her laparoscopy results.
She's severely cahectic and still hospitalized. She's unable to eat most of the hospital food but the staff don't mind if I bring her snacks as long as they don't cause her problems. We do know she can't stand fresh or dried fruit or too much saturated fat but that kind of makes sense. She can eat a bagle and yoghurt occasionally and has quite a craving for apple pie. I'm worried as is she's so cahectic and frail that if she doesn't get some good nutrition the starvation will get her before the cancer does :-(. I've heard ensure can be quite hard on people who don't digest quite well so haven't tried giving her that yet but she has had Fresubin a few times until she proclaimed she's simply too fed up with it and I don't want to press her.
Anything you could give a person with a digestive tract that badly affected to get their weight up a bit? Protein powder, whey? What about that cottage cheese mixed with linseed oil trick to help caxeia, has anyone tried it? I heard it only takes a teaspoon or two, but would it be hard on the digestive tract?
Sorry I sound so confused, I'm torn watching her in so much pain that I'm worried whatever I give her might make it worse and I'm not sure what foods cause the most patients pain? Do you guys have any experience with that or is it a highly individual thing? She'll be sick of the bagels and apple pie pretty soon I bet..
Any suggestions welcome.
Best of luck to everyone, am keeping everyone in my prayers.

Biff Bradford
10-04-2016, 02:35 AM
I'm no expert, just another member of the pancreatic cancer club (diagnosed in December 2015). I don't have complex digestive issues as far as I know, but I am having a hard time eating enough. I've had several long talks (30+ mins) with the nutritionist assigned to me and perhaps you can ask to speak with one as well? Each time I speak with her I come out with several pages of notes (by her) of suggestions and coupons for Glucerna to boot. Number one is find something that she can eat. My personal favorite is diced peaches. That's the one thing I can always get down. Calories are calories. Carnation Instant Breakfast is something I want to try. Will toss that with other stuff in a blender and sip on it.

Ask to speak with a registered nutritionist. They are a gold mine of information.

Best of luck.

(and I just noticed this question is 3 months old! :oops: )

ChemoMan
10-04-2016, 04:32 AM
Actually older than that...over 2 years

Will close the thread to avoid confusion