PDA

View Full Version : Blood Counts still low 3 months after Auto SCT

Hou
12-12-2016, 12:46 AM
Hi,

I had Auto SCT during first week of Sept-16. I had some serious complications (but no infection) after ASCT and it took about 4 weeks to recover from these. Last week I had PET/CT Scan and blood work. Good news is my PET/CT scan is clear. But my counts are still very low. I still have pancytopenia (all three WBC, RBC & platelets are low). My doctor thinks my engraftment is weak. Does any one else had similar issues after transplant and how long it took to fully recover?

Thanks.

Hou

po18guy
12-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Your issues have undoubtedly slowed or delayed your engraftment, so that should be a bit of a buffer against too much worry. Engraftment is essentially entirely beyond our control. In some cases, I have heard that a re-infusion of stem cells being done if pancytopenia becomes chronic or problematic. However, even with early and complete engraftment, blood numbers will be a roller coaster ride for the first year - perhaps even for life. That is simply the nature of being a chimeric individual.

Hou
12-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Hi po18guy,

Thanks for encouraging response. I have had further blood tests done and my doctor thinks low blood counts may be because of the anti-fungal medication I had been taking. So, I am on a different medication now and will see in two weeks if this helps.

Best

Hou

po18guy
12-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Hi po18guy,

Thanks for encouraging response. I have had further blood tests done and my doctor thinks low blood counts may be because of the anti-fungal medication I had been taking. So, I am on a different medication now and will see in two weeks if this helps.

Best

Hou Ah, a perfect explanation which I had not considered. Your immune system, being a baby, will most likely bounce right back. Almost 1.5 years out, my counts are still fluctuating some. When you consider that our marrow had to be essentially killed, then brought back to life, the differing readings make more sense. As well, I can scarcely count the number of different meds I have tried, in order to eliminate varying side effects and allergies.

Considering that our bodies were designed for zero medications, it is surprising how well we do with the various chemicals in our bloodstreams - chemicals which ultimately arrive in our marrow.