PDA

View Full Version : Primary to lung

BSN
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Hello,
My best friend's dh (in late 40's) has just been diagnosed with primary livr cancer that appears to have spread to the lung. She is quite overwhelmed and I am trying to gather some info for her.

I have only read a little info but appears that the prognosis is pretty much fatal? Can you tell me if there are any alternative treatments out there?

Blessings,

BSN

brainman
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM
BSN, I am very sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis. Has a biopsy been done on it? I ask because I usually hear of lung cancers that metastasize to the liver and not the other way around... although that does happen.

Either way, the prognosis is about the same... it very much depends on the cell type and staging results. Since it has spread into both above and below her diaphragm, it is most likely an aggressive cancer. But with aggressive treatment, her prognosis could still be relatively good. And, as I always say, prognosis is just a statistical probability. If my prognosis was right, I would have died at least 5 years ago. Is it fatal? Not to be flippant, but all cancers are potentially fatal. If you are asking how much longer your friend has to live, it could be months or years depending on many factors... mostly your friend's will to live.

DH and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

BSN
10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you for your reply Jim.

It is definitely primary in the liver that has gone to the lung. I dont have the other info you asked me about. My friend is somewhat numb right now. Her dh has two teens to live for and an iron will. I think that will serve him well.

So you had liver cancer Jim? Did you use any alternative therapies? My friend's dh is at City of Hope.

BSN

brainman
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, BSN. My cancer was/is primary brain cancer... a glioma first diagnosed in 1992. The doctors then gave me a 10% chance of surviving 10 years. I guess I was in the 10%.

I hate to sound dumb and I will probably be embarrassed but you refer to your "friend's dh." What does "dh" stand for? :oops:

BSN
10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Jim,
That is wonderful. My fil died of 4th stage glioblastoma. (sp?) His life was prolonged through things like shark cartilidge and other snake oils. They gave him three months and he lived 19. BSN