PDA

View Full Version : EC - Cancer Free since Aug. 2006!

ideakbw
03-25-2008, 01:03 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you fighting this awful cancer! I feel bad posting good news when so many of you are in the center of the struggle. I know the struggle, the fear and sadness this cancer causes. I do feel my husband was lucky to have caught it early and therefore, has had a good outcome. I guess I hope it can give some people some hope!

My husband had stage 1 EC with a tumor at the junction of the stomach. He had EMR (not surgery) and PDT in August of 2006 at Johns Hopkins (even though we live in California). He had his 1.5 year check up and is still cancer free. He has changed his diet and takes Zeolite (not sure if it does anything, but what the heck). He also stop drinking diet sodas. He drank about 6-8 a day.(not sure if it help, but what the heck)

His doctor says his esophagus is really clean and looks really good. The doctor said he really doesn't have to come back to be checked for a year, but to go by the book, we will do one more in 6 months, then go to a year.

We feel really blessed that we have had this outcome. I hope this gives someone out there some hope! I know my husband's EC was at an early stage and that is not usual. But the doctors are finding it earlier and earlier now!

My thoughts are with all of you! I read everyone's stories but I don't always find the words to respond, so I say a prayer for each and check in to see how you all are doing.

God Bless!

brainman
03-25-2008, 07:26 AM
WOW ideakbw! What an inspirational story. I am glad that your husband is now cancer free and that he has recovered so well.

My best wishes to you and your husband.

Vee Smith
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
So good to read a story with a happy ending! Thank you.

ideakbw
03-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Thank you for the support! It is wonderful to have this board and the people on it.

Kim

Brian Tisdale
05-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I am a 56 year old male, and I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Esophageal Cancer in Dec. 2003. Surgery was not an option, due to the location of the tumors. I underwent a clinical trial and recieved chemo and radiation at U.C Davis Cancer Center in Sacramento. Ca. It was a difficult process both physically and mentally, but it was successful. I went back to work after 5 months, and continue to work today. I have had to have endoscopies with dilitation every 8 to 10 weeks to open the esophagus, due to the amount of scarring. In Dec. 2006 the cancer returned, fortunatley it was caught early, and I underwent Photodynamic treatment. Again, the treatment was successful. Unfortunately, the cancer returned in Nov. 2007 and I had my second round of Photodynamic treatment, and again, I am cancer free. I still have high grade Barretts, and today I will be undergoing a new treatment called cryo-spray ablation. Not sure if it is a cure, but I am very optimistic about the results that will occur with this treatment.
To all of you who have had or going to undergo treatment, be positive, and don't dwell on the negatives of the situation. If you have a loved one who is in treatment, be supportive, and understanding. There will be times that the patient is down, depressed, and needs their own space, but they will always need to know that you are there for them.