PDA

View Full Version : APL diagnosis

leehatton
09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi All,

My girlfriend has just been diagnosed with APL (AML M3) and is about to start chemo (the AML-15 spanish method of treatment, if this means anything to you)

If anyone has been through this or has any info at all, please let me know.

Thanks

Lee

brainman
09-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Lee. I am very sorry about your girlfriend's cancer. I am not familiar with APL or the "spanish method of treatment". I do know a little about AML and even more about ALL since my father died of ALL this month 2 years ago.

The greatest danger with any Leukemia is that the blood counts will either get so high or so low that the body becomes vulnerable to infections. Do all you can to keep her immune system strong. Keep her away for individuals who are infections.

You and your girlfriend are in my thoughts and prayers.

leehatton
09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Jim, thanks for the relply.

From what I have read, APL is a sub-type of AML, so is also known at AML -M3. Other than that, im not to sure about the details of it. The low immune system would explain why she has been put in an isolation room etc.

If anyone else has any info, I would be most grateful to hear it.

Lee

(PS big thanks to kiwi24 for all the help and advise on the PM)

ashman
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
i'm currently recovering from my second consolidation round for APL. i was diagnosed on July 28th and went through induction, which included a ~30 day stay in the hospital, followed by a few weeks of rest and then consolidation round #1. I was in the hospital about 8 days during this round and it took about 35-40 days for recovery. rest a few weeks and started consolidation round #2. spent about 6 days in the hospital for this round. it's been about 40 days and my wbc still hasn't recovered but is showing signs of life.

my induction chemo was 7 days of cyterabine and 3 treatments of idarubicin. consolidation 1 and 2 were 4 treatments of idarubicin.

i would suggest taking good notes of side effects and try to track her counts. tracking counts doesn't make much sense at first, but during subsequent treatments it will help you see patterns during recovery.

taking notes about side effects will also be valuable during subsequent treatments. i found myself repeating bad habits that i had forgot about during previous treatments.

any specific questions, please ask

brainman
12-02-2008, 04:25 AM
When you visit her, do you have to put on a gown, mask, gloves, and show covers? There is a airborne virus and is resistant to antibiotics (can't remember what it is called :oops: ) if a patient has that, that isolate that patient and make visitor gown up so that the visitors do not get the virus. My father had it when he died.

ashman
12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
the hospital i was treated in had a special section for patients like me (neutrapenic). the room had special air filtration. i was allowed visitors but had to wear only a mask when visitors were there. i also had a infectious disease doctor that pumped me full of antibiotics to try and prevent any viral/fungal infections.

when released from the hospital, i was told to try and avoid large crowds, children, people with colds, and wear a mask when out and about.

12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
deleted