PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1B Cancer

Sharpj
04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Hello, New to this site but need some more info about Cancer. I am a 34 year old childless woman. I got my first period when I was 9 years old. I had never had a normal period. I have been put on all kinds of different birth control pills to try to get my periods regular but nothing worked. Well anyway, I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) in 2006. The dr said that the PCOS was what was causing the irregular periods. I started having some real bad problems with severe bleeding and severe pain in my abdomen in May of 2008. I went to the ER and they didn't find anything from the ultrasound or pap. They sent me home with a prescription for pain pills and and birth control pills. Well I finally stopped bleeding about 3 months later but not from the birth control pills, cause I had to stop them due to getting sick from them. In September 2008 I started bleeding again and couldn't stop. January 2009 I ended up in the ER again for the bleeding and severe pain. The ER dr told me that I needed to get in to see an OB-GYN I told him that I already had an appointment he said well then there is nothing that he could do except control the pain. I went to the OB-GYN Feb 12, 2009 and she did a endometrial biopsy. On Feb 18th, I received a call and it was my dr's nurse telling me that I needed to come in. I told her that I didn't have the car, so she said that I needed to get in ASAP, but she wouldn't tell me why. I went in and found out I had endometrial cancer. They set me up with a gynecologic oncologist and 6 days later I was being told that I had to have surgery. Then 5 days later on March 2nd I was in surgery having the salpingo-oophorectomy and pelvic node dissection. I am now going on 7 weeks post surgery but feel like my doctor is not telling me something. I am still having drainage from my incision and I have a real hard knot in my abdomen right under my incision. I am really worried. Is this normal or should I be worrying. Should I get a second opinion on how my recovery is going or am I just being a worry wort. Well sorry for the long story but I felt that it helps to know the whole story to help me out with my question. Anyone that has any info please respond.

rmaureen
04-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi Sharpj:

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is good they found the cancer in such an early stage. I really cannot answer your question, although I remember I had drainage for quite some time afterwards, which was normal. Look at the incision area to make sure there is no excess puss or swelling, also if you feel burning around the area make an appointment with your doctor. My sister had a hysterectomy over a year ago, the incision area had tremendous swelling, puss, and burning exceeding 3 or so inches around the actual incision. She developed an hernia from the surgery and a terrible infection and spent many days (weeks) in the hospital. She had a very hard area around the incision somewhere, but it was scar tissue. I don't think you are being a worry wort. If you feel uncomfortable with these symptoms, then make an appointment. It is better to be overly cautious than underly cautious, particularly when a diagnosis is confirmed. Please keep us posted on your progress, and you are in my prayers.