A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any happy Survivor stories?

Any happy Survivor stories?

Hi All,

Does anyone here have any positive stories about ovarian cancer survivors? I was diagnosed stage 2 and am in treatment. I keep reading all the stories about recurrence and while I am trying to be positive, I get so scared sometimes. I need some good news.

Thanks
    Melinda

Hi Melinda, I do not have a success story about Ovarian Cancer although I do have a survival story of my one. I will let others reply with their own Ovarian Cancer stories. I just want to say that you are not the only one. I now that a recurrence is very often on my mind as it is for most of us who do not put our heads in the sand. The truth is that although I have survived for nearly 17 years, there is always the chance (however small) that my cancer will recur... it already has once.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Gracias

Thanks.

I decided to be more proactive and have begun reading, Anticancer Diet: A New Way of Life. It begins with great stories of other people's triumph over their cancer despite statistics, so I felt better right away. I'm committed to doing whatever I can for myself to strengthen my body's resistance to these ill-mannered cells and am encouraged by this author's advice. He's become my friend :)

Thank you for your reply.
    Melinda

Senior User
    Hi Melinda,

First of all, I'm am sorry you are on this forum, but i hope whatever insight we can give you will help ease your fears.

I too do not have an ovarian cancer survival story, although I have my own survival story through cervical cancer and have learned of many positive stories of survival.

And in the event of a possible recurrence, that does not mean a death sentence (the same way the original occurrence did not mean one either).

I know a woman who had cervical cancer when she was 12, and was left with one ovary, who went on to have 3 beautiful children (twin girls and a boy) by surrogate and is still living life to the fullest 27 years later.

And although cervical cancer is different from ovarian, perhaps that story will help you stay positive!
    Stage 1B1 Adenosquamous Carcinoma of the Cervix.
    Diagnosed 5.7.09 @ age 20
    Radical hysterectomy on 5.15.09

Thank you for your thoughts. I know there are positive stories from people who have challenged this beast and won, but those people are surely busy living every moment and not dinking on the computer :)

I did some research on my own and thanks to an earlier post in this forum, found Kathy Bates' story. She had stage I but it was attached to her colon so it was arguably stage 3. In any case, they treated her for stage 3 ovarian cancer. That was 5.5 years ago. Her story can be found by googling "Kathy Bates Ovarian Cancer".

Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Hi!

I am an Ovarian Cancer survivor of two years. I was diagnosed with stage IV C Ovarian Cancer which had spread to the lymphnodes in the abdomen and neck. I underwent debulking surgery in April 2007, which was not optimal. I was given a poor prognosis and given 6 months to live. I was not expected to live through my chemo treatments. I was able to complete 13 rounds of chemo and reached remission (which all my doctors said was impossible). I also used numerous alternative treatments and massive doses of vitamin supplements. I am a big believer in alternative treatments and a strict diet. Unfortunately, I fell off the health wagon and have not been staying away from refined sugar for about the last 8 months or so. I am now paying the price of not being vigilant and I am now experiencing a recurrence of the cancer, but plan to fight again. Hope you are doing well and I wish you the best with your treatment. Anything is possible with the right mental attitude. Keep your spirits up!! Also, there are so many inspirational stores of survival from Ovarian Cancer on a website called Inspire.com You can also get alot of useful information from the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance website. Good luck to you.

Hi Melinda ....

Yes ... I am a happy survival story.

Diagnosed 10/19/01 with Stage IIC Ovarian cancer at 40 years of age. Underwent bilateral oophorectomy, hysterectomy, etc. Went through 5 months of a 6 month protocol of chemo.

I am now a healthy woman about to turn 49. I am gearing up to run my first 5K.

We exist ... but as someone said ... have moved on. I am not sure what drew me here this morning ... I haven't been on a forum since 2002 ... but happy that I did come in for a few minutes.

We are out here ... we are fortunate and we know where you're at. Keep your chin up ... the fear never goes away completely ... however, instead of letting it run my life, I let it inspire it ...

Regular User
    I just found this site with survivor stories which might be helpful, too.

Take care,
    g

Survivor story

I am happily an ovarian cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in August of 2008 with stage I germ cell cancer. Had surgery and three rounds of chemo over the next four months. Happy to say I am cancer-free still 17 months after chemo. Blood tests every three months and hopefully going to 6 month checks in May. God is good to me.

Newbie New User
    Hi Melinda,

I hope you are doing well. I'm late into finding this forum, mainly because I've spent most of my time finding healthy ways to beat the cancer. I was diagnosed with stage IC germ cell ovarian cancer almost 10 years ago and have been cancer free since. I went through a hysterectomy and chemotherapy for 3 months. Immediately after the treatments, I completely changed my diet and lifestyle. It's been a long journey with supportive family and friends. But now I can say I did all the right things because I feel blessed! I hope you have found the best diet, exercise and lifestyle changes for yourself. Good luck!