A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help: Persistent itching, possible chemo side effect?

Newbie New User

I know this is an OLD thread, but Thank You to Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by joepet View Post
    Ah, Vincera. One of the saddest things about being a regular here is when people disappear, and you never know how they're getting along.
    I've read over all the posts and have a few things in mind to try. I've completed 8 cycles of chemo. 4 weeks after when I started growing hair back, I developed this crazy full body itch. It's weird cause it mainly seems to be more severe at night. Anyway I'm gonna try some of the suggestions. Thank you all again. God Bless

Experienced User
    Hi DrcJr77 , not sure if my experience it helps or not, but will share anyway.

When my wife was doing Radio ( so that would have to be around 4/5 weeks after finishing 6x R-CHOP ) she had a massive itching ( skin looked red as it was allergic to something ) in the full body with swollen hands/ankles etc....
    Of course we were in panic, but we did some steroid and kept the radio plan.

Doctors suspected it was viral and after one/two weeks it dissapear never to return.

Hope you are better.
    Nov/17 : Wife 36y diagnosed DLBC NHL in the Breast ( Stage 1AE )
    Nov/17 : Started 6 x RCHOP 21 ( finished Mar 2018 )
    Apr/18 : PET/CT early April confirmed in Complete Metabolic Response
    On to 15x Radiation ( total of 30Gys )
    May/18: Rads done
    Ago/18: 3x HDMTx completed!
    ... on to follopw ups...

Regular User
    I realize this post is very old, but since people will be drawn to it I wanted to add a little bit of information. Since I haven’t started chemo yet, I haven’t been reading about that specifically but here are a couple of points to keep in mind.

Doxepin Is an antidepressant, at high doses that are hard to tolerate. But it is an exceptionally powerful antihistamine, and at lower doses – even 5 to 10 mg – it’s quite sedating.

For the plain-old, non-chemo “lymphoma itch” – it’s not known what causes this. One of the possibilities is that it is due to problems with our “mu” opioid receptors. It’s possible that lymphoma cells release chemicals that are impacting those receptors. They are also thought to be responsible for the itching that some people get from morphine and other opiates.

I wake up at night with lymphoma itch. Sometimes anti-histamines help. I just take Zyrtec (ceterizine), because I find drugs like doxepin too constipating etc.

Cheers!
    Last edited by JiminPdx; 06-21-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Error

My husband had the itching. Nothing we tried helped until we found a cream with lidocaine in it. It gave him some relief.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

Senior User
    Beginning in - as far as I can remember - late spring 2010, I had pretty spectacular and unexplained bouts of hives, for which the dermatologist prescribed Ebastine. The hives stopped when I was put on chemo, and never returned.
    I also had a more localized itch with no visible skin rash. That itch matched the area of the bone lesions that were later to be discovered. I believe I did try applying some lidocaine-hydrocortisone cream, but that did not really do much for me. The same itch is now returning, not in the same area, but one contiguous with the initial one - and I am also having matching pain. Maybe we'll have some explanation to that some day.
    When my hair grew back in after chemo, I did not experience itching, but rather soreness in my scalp. The suggested explanation to that was neuropathy.
    PBL
    06/2015 - Spontaneous pelvic fracture after 8 years of unexplained left hip pain
    02/2016 - 52 y.o. - Final Dx: Grade 2, Stage 4 Primary Bone Follicular lymphoma
    TTT - 6 R-CHOP21 (03-06/2016) + Maintenance Rituximab (08/2016-04/2018.)
    Currently in remission - Semestrial scans+mris & follow-up appointments with hematologist.

Regular User
    My itching is mild to moderate, but after my Shingrix (zoster) vaccine in May, it was very bad for about a week. Since the whole point of the vaccine is to stimulate B cells, is there any risk of pouring gasoline on the lymphoma fire?

Senior User
    Never mind that - chemo & Ritux will take care of the meanies!

I hope you are feeling better now after your latest news.

PBL
    06/2015 - Spontaneous pelvic fracture after 8 years of unexplained left hip pain
    02/2016 - 52 y.o. - Final Dx: Grade 2, Stage 4 Primary Bone Follicular lymphoma
    TTT - 6 R-CHOP21 (03-06/2016) + Maintenance Rituximab (08/2016-04/2018.)
    Currently in remission - Semestrial scans+mris & follow-up appointments with hematologist.