A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Adult Wilms Tumor

Adult Wilms Tumor

Hi, my name is Ashley and I am from Oklahoma. In March of 2007 at the age of 18 I was diagnosed with stage II wilms tumor. I had been having problems with kidney stones for several years prior to the diagnoses. I was due to have my son in December of 2006. Throughout my pregnancy it seemed that the pain that I thought I was experiencing due to the stones had gotten worse. They wanted to do CT scans but could not due to my pregnancy. As soon as I had my son my doctor sent me to a urologist to do tests. He decided that I would be admitted into the hospital and the following day I would have a stent put in to drain my kidney because he thought there was a stone blocking my ureters (not sure if thats spelled right). When he went in to do the procedure the stent stopped before he could even get to it. He decided that I need to do several MRI's and CT's and we found that I had a 9.0cm tumor contained within my kidney. He did a nephrectomy of my right kidney and did not remove any lymph nodes. He thought because of my age that it would be benign so he saw no point in it I assume. I was in the hospital in recovery for two weeks. About a week after being home he called me back to tell me that to his surprise I had stage II wilms tumor and then I was sent to a local Oncalogist. He had never seen this in an adult so he had to call all over the US and even parts of other countries. He treated with the protocal for children. I cannot remember how many chemo treatments and how many radiation treatments I had but I did have vincristine and dactinomiocin (again spelling probably wrong). After completing the treatment planned the cancer was all gone. I was seen back 4 months after my last treatment and in that time frame the cancer had returned in two lymph nodes in my abdomen. My oncologist was planning on doing 34 chemo treatments and a stem cell transplant but I wanted a different opinion. In June of 2008 I went to Md Anderson in Houston Texas and was seen by Dr. Eric Jonasch, the president over the Genital Urinary clinic and specializes in Kidney Cancer.

Hi Ashley, sorry about your Wilms Tumor. What did you find out at MD Anderson? Your story ended rather abruptly. I hope all went or is going well for you now.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Wilms Tumor

I ran outta time and didnt get to finish my post. I didnt want to lose everything i had written so I just posted all I had so far. When I went to MdAnderson I was AMAZED!! That place is awesome! I had several scans and tests ran. I then found out that the treatments were not going to be near as bad as what I had found out from my home town oncologist. I took vincristine/doxil and vincristine/actinomycin D every 3 weeks. I would take the vincristine and doxil and the three weeks later I would take the vincristing and actinomycin. I did that for a total of 24 weeks which was 8 cycles of chemotherapy. They were really high doses. I had radiation treatments every day for 14 days. I finished all treatments in January of this year and I have been cancer free for 10 months now!!!! I have been going back every three months since february and my last appointment was in August and my Dr. decided that things were going great and that I could start going back every 6 months now so I dont have another appointment until February!!

Adult Wilms Tumor

Hi Ashley,
    My name is Lisa, I found out that I had AWT at the age of 32, you can read my story at the other adult Wilms Tumor topic started by Julie. I am in remission as of 12/27/2009 for 7 years. I am just suprised reading your story that they have already gone to 6 month checkups this soon. It took me almost 3 years to get to that lenght of time. All I can say is hopefully you will not need to worry(LOL, yes I remember every ache and pain in my stomach making me stress and worry that my cancer had come back)or maybe the Oncologists have found better treatments for adults with this disease. I hope that your story turns out as well as mine has.
    Good Luck,
    Lisa
    Lisa

Newbie New User
    Can you share who was your Dr at Md Anderson ? And for radiation was it only to your stomach ?

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sorry but this thread is over 7 years old abd unlikely you will receive a response from the original poster