A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: newly dx. need help deciding treatment, waiting

Regular User

newly dx. need help deciding treatment, waiting

just got biopsy report. reads left apex.ADENOCARCINOMA (GLEASON SCORE 3= 4=7) INVOLVING 20% OF THE SPECIMREN ( 1OF 1CORES CONTAIN CANCER) GLEASON PATTERN 4 COMPRISES 10% OF THE CANCER,. CANCER LENGTH 0.44 CM left apex HIGH-GRADE PROSTATIVC INTRAEPITHELIAL NEOPLASIA. AGE 76 GOOD HEALTH LAST PSA 6.2. DR. SUGGESTS RADIATION...... external beam or seeds.....anyone been down this road..which did you decide ....how was outcome...would you choose this route again... says although only a small tumour in one area of left lobe it is of the agressive type.

You have an intermediate risk cancer and watchful waiting would not be a good opton. Surgery is not a good option because of your age and coplications and side affects could be severe.
    Any radiation, IMRT, Brachytherapy or Proton would be good options. Also Hormone therapy is also an option.
    JohnT
    psa at diagnosis 40 in nov-08
    gleason 6 and 7
    Treatment choice seeds and IMRT

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by johnT
    You have an intermediate risk cancer and watchful waiting would not be a good opton. Surgery is not a good option because of your age and coplications and side affects could be severe.
    Any radiation, IMRT, Brachytherapy or Proton would be good options. Also Hormone therapy is also an option.
    JohnT
    does anyone know a prostate oncologisdt in tampa bay area or new port richey area florida

Regular User

Re: newly dx. need help deciding treatment, waiting

Quote Originally Posted by ed
    just got biopsy report. reads left apex.ADENOCARCINOMA (GLEASON SCORE 3= 4=7) INVOLVING 20% OF THE SPECIMREN ( 1OF 1CORES CONTAIN CANCER) GLEASON PATTERN 4 COMPRISES 10% OF THE CANCER,. CANCER LENGTH 0.44 CM left apex HIGH-GRADE PROSTATIVC INTRAEPITHELIAL NEOPLASIA. AGE 76 GOOD HEALTH LAST PSA 6.2. DR. SUGGESTS RADIATION...... external beam or seeds.....anyone been down this road..which did you decide ....how was outcome...would you choose this route again... says although only a small tumour in one area of left lobe it is of the agressive type.
    sorry typed in wrong area..DOES ANYONE KNOW PROSTATE ONCOLOGIST IN NEW PORT RICHEY FL AREA

Regular User
    JOHN you did seed and imrt...which seed high dose or long term

Ed,
    I had Paladium 105 seeds followed by 25 sessions of IMRT. Seed procedure was about an hour and IMRT 6 weks later. No side affects from either treatment. Golfed and hiked every day from day 2. No fatigue, no ED, urinary issues better than before treatment, no bowel issues. I had about 4 weeks of urinary frequency and urgency after seed placement. but was very tolorable with flowmax and didn't limit anything I wanted to do. Far exceeded my expectations. My experiences are probabaly better than the norm, but side affect from radiation with todays equipment is relatively benign. Just find a good doctor, as skill is important and not all radiologists and brachytherapists are equal.
    JohnT
    gleason 6 and 7

Ed,
    Florida Prostate Oncologist: Maria Claudia Mallarino, in Sarosota: 941 377 9993.
    I think your best bet in Fla is the Dattoli Cancer center in Sarasota. They are one of the best Radiation center is the world and deal only in PC.
    JohnT
    gleason 6 and 7

Experienced User

pick up

Pick up Patrick Walsh's book "Surviving Prostate cancer" . You can buy it from Amazon.com.

It will give you a lot of good information for your battle.

Good luck.
    Age 58
    Dx 6/15/2009; PSA 7.1; 7/12 cores positive; Gleason 6 (3+3) and 7 (3+4); PNI observed. Bone Scan and CT scan negative.
    Robotic RP 7/20/2009

Path report 8/11/2009 - clean margins, negative lymph nodes, negative seminal vesicles, Gleason 3+4, Stage T2c; 15% of prostate involved; NoMx.

PSA .006 September 2009
    PSA .005 November 2009
    PSA .005 February 2010
    PSA .005 July 2010

Regular User
    have appt with rad. oncologist. think i've decided on imrt..will make final decision after consult. anyone had just this... problems with incontinence????? bowel???? ed????? were you physically affected by treatments. should run every day, 5 days a wk for 8 wks. what shold i expect....gleasson score 7 psa 6.2 age 76

ed

IMRT is unlikely to cause you any serious incontinence by itself. But if you are already having troubles with urinary incontinence, the radiation might worsen the problem.

It's more likely you MIGHT have some bowel irritation. This manifests itself in the form of loose stools, perhaps diarrhea, sometimes painful bowel movements. This is usually temporary and treatable, and normally goes away on its own.

You won't lose your hair, and you shouldn't feel sick, with the possible exception of the bowel irritation mentioned above.

You might also have a problem with erections. If so, this is a problem that creeps up incrementally in the years following IMRT.

Some people report a little fatigue.

The treatments themselves are painless. You just lay on a table for a few minutes, several days a week as you indicated. If you experience side effects, they would not be apparent right away, as the radiation dose is given just a little at each session.

I had IMRT as salvage after surgery failed to get all my cancer. Of the two, IMRT was far, far easier. My blog at http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com details my experience with IMRT--but remember, I was having it as salvage, so it's a little different. The targeting in salvage is a little wider, since there's no longer a specific organ to go after.

I still go back and see the radiation doc every 6 months for a PSA followup and DRE. I feel like I'm seeing old friends--ones who may have saved my life.
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar [email protected] age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com