A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: help i have cancer phobia / is there a SCC Forum somewhere?

Regular User

help i have cancer phobia / is there a SCC Forum somewhere?

i would like to hear from people who have lived through Squamous cell carcinoma that was deep and invasive and how they managed. i don't know how deep mine was but i wrote a letter to my doctor asking for my medical report. when i read about SCC, i read about, if cought early enough but what is early? my doctor said, mine was very deep because i waited to long but i should have a 99% cure rate but i don't trust what he says becaus how does he know it doesn't come back in a few years or even 10 years even know he thinks he's got them all. also i think i have a few on my scalp, i can feel them. how do i check myself without shaving myself bald? i didn't even see the one that was on my nose and neither did my md. what should i do for all these anxieties i'm having?

Experienced User
    Sunny, first order of business is to calm down! Second order is to sit and speak with your dermatologist. You need answers to questions that only he/she can give.

I had basel cell removed a few years ago - the patch had been on my collarbone for close to 15 years. The pathology of the excised area came back clean. This is the information you need to have from your derm - the results of the pathology.

While squamous cell is more serious than basel cell, it is still very unlikely that it will result in your demise. As with any skin cancer, you need to be vigilent and have regular check-ups with the dermatologist.

Everyone who has had skin cancer - and I'm excluding melanoma - runs a risk of recurrence. None of us knows whether our cancer will come back.

As I said earlier, you need to calm down and get an appointment with the doctor right away to understand your situation and what you need to do going forward.

Regular User
    thank you Sephie, thank you for your reply and your suggestions. i called the office this morning and spoke to the nurse. nurse said they are going to send me a copy of my med. report and information from the internet !? information from the internet? i ask how long they think the tumor has been there or about how old it was, they don't know !? they said it was deep. i ask how deep, they don't know !? was told it was not lifethreathening even if it was never found. i'm not sure if i believe this. they said it can come back. i have an appointment in 4wks. for couseltation, should i cancel this appointment because they are sending me my med. report and info from the internet, i don't know if that's gona help, information from the internet that's all i'm doing is search the internet. should i still go to my appointment? they say it was deep and i think it went through my hole nose but when i ask how deep they don't know, i was told. this is so confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Sephie
    Sunny, first order of business is to calm down! Second order is to sit and speak with your dermatologist. You need answers to questions that only he/she can give.

I had basel cell removed a few years ago - the patch had been on my collarbone for close to 15 years. The pathology of the excised area came back clean. This is the information you need to have from your derm - the results of the pathology.

While squamous cell is more serious than basel cell, it is still very unlikely that it will result in your demise. As with any skin cancer, you need to be vigilent and have regular check-ups with the dermatologist.

Everyone who has had skin cancer - and I'm excluding melanoma - runs a risk of recurrence. None of us knows whether our cancer will come back.

As I said earlier, you need to calm down and get an appointment with the doctor right away to understand your situation and what you need to do going forward.

Regular User
    thanks again Sephie for your answer. i copied some of your post down so i can read it often, i know this helps. this morning i called my sister in Italy she has cancer and her husband too. they think mine was deep and it propably has spread and the way they talked it sounded they think i should plan my funeral. my brother in Italy commited suicide because of lack of knowledge he had with cancer so he gave up hope. the fear was to much for him to bear. he saw our parents and grandparents die of cancer it was to much for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephie

Sunnygirl, DONT give up just because of DX. Even if it is Cancer there are ALOT of treatments. (not all will work, but some can!!!)But there is always HOPE!!Not sure what treatments are available where you live but ask questions and find a Doctor your comfortable with. I am 2 1/2 year survivor of stage IV and have never felt sick from the Cancer(IL-2 is a different story, but I got through it . You may have cancer, BUT cancer doesn't have YOU!! Stay strong

Experienced User
    Sunnygirl, keep the doctor's appointment and stay calm. Don't know what types of cancer your sister and brother-in-law have but non-melanoma skin cancer rarely kills. With your phobia, you might want to consider speaking with a professional who can help you work out your fears.

Hope all goes well for you.

Regular User
    corvetteguy, thank you so very much for your message, hope and encouragement. it feels good to know some people care. you're strong but i'm not and my anxieties are getting the best of me. i admire your hope and strenght and i wish you many more years of good health and a long life. thanks again.

Regular User
    thank you so much for your encouragement Sephie and yes i keep my doctor's appointment. i'm also considering seeking theraphy for my fears. my sister has skin cancer, my brother inlaw skin cancer but was cought early and not as deep as mine. it was melanoma as far as i know. my friend died of skin cancer. she went regularly for her check ups and it was not found because the cancer was on her foot sole. she only had 6 months to live. i picked up a copy of my med. report this morning because i couldn't wait any longer but i can't figure out what they mean. maybe i will be allowed to make a new post and have someone figure it out for me. thanks Sephie

Experienced User
    Sunny, I understand your concerns and your fears. Melanoma is a different disease than other skin cancers such as the one you had. You will sometimes see reference to "non-melanoma" skin cancer - that includes basel cell and squamous cell. Melanoma can be life threatening, whereas SCC and BCC very rarely are. So, you are comparing apples to oranges when looking at your own situation vs. someone who has melanoma. My basel cell was not a small patch - the excision on my collar bone is about 3 inches long and I had it for many years without knowing. I need to get regular check-ups (annually) with a dermatologist and obviously watch sun exposure but other than these, I never think about it.

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had radical surgery. He is doing well but needs a follow-up blood test every 3 months for several years. Sadly, that is life after a cancer diagnosis.

Once you get your biopsy report and speak with the doctor, I think you will find your fears eased.

Regular User
    Sephie, i'm glad you found your basal cell. how deep was yours? were they able to tell you the age of that spot? i saw my spot for at least one and half years before i had it checked and it had spread to the deepest layer of the skin, this fast!??? i had 11 stitches. i'm sorry to hear about your husband, i'm glad he is doing fine. my husband died of lung cancer a few years back. thanks for your reassurance, i read it often.