A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: List of sCam cancer cures proven not to work

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by commtr View Post
    For those few people who were cured by chemo or radiation, it's entirely possible they would have recovered without those treatments.

The only known effective cure for any cancer is catching it at an extremly early stage, cutting it out, and hoping that the individual's genetics doesn't dispose them to a recurrence. In other words their cancer was caused by a chance mutation or exposure to one-time external stimulus, rather than genetics.

chemo and radiation may add a year or two of longevity, but by and large cancer returns. Is there really any compelling argument why chemo and/or radiation should be used at all?
    Not true

My lymphoma was cured by chemo. Check my sig. I am 5 years out now

You cannot cure blood cancers with surgery.
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Senior User
    Are we ever really cured though
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kartoz View Post
    Yes

If you are NED after 5 years you are considered cured. If you get cancer again after this it is consideed a new cancer but the likelyhood of that is very small.
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    Yep. Me. Without it I would be dead of a rare and aggressive fatal in most cases cancer and not 3 years in remission.
    "Rare" is the operative word. By definition you are the exception, not the norm.

It's all probabilities. Nobody can use themselves as an example of anything. One has to look at statistics.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    Not true

My lymphoma was cured by chemo. Check my sig. I am 5 years out now

You cannot cure blood cancers with surgery.
    It is possible that in some individuals, chemo halts the carcinogenic cycle sufficiently so that the body's natural defenses are able to return to a normal state, but in these cases it's unlikely chemo is the "cure". It's probably more of a case that your body already had a strong mechanism for dealing with cancerous cells, but needed some sort of temporary help or "push" to get to the point where it could take care of the rest by itself.

Again, you have to look at statistics. What the medical literature says about survival and remissions rates for a large number of individuals.

I believe in looking at statistics. It's the best way to an accurate picture of what's going on.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kartoz View Post
    If you break a five or six year cycle mark, it's a good indication that your cancer was less likely genetic and/or that your body's natural mechanism for coping with it is very strong. At that point, your question becomes "are we cured of mortality" and of course the answer is no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by commtr View Post
    It is possible that in some individuals, chemo halts the carcinogenic cycle sufficiently so that the body's natural defenses are able to return to a normal state, but in these cases it's unlikely chemo is the "cure". It's probably more of a case that your body already had a strong mechanism for dealing with cancerous cells, but needed some sort of temporary help or "push" to get to the point where it could take care of the rest by itself.

Again, you have to look at statistics. What the medical literature says about survival and remissions rates for a large number of individuals.

I believe in looking at statistics. It's the best way to an accurate picture of what's going on.
    For heavens sake

NHL is an aggressive cancer. before the CHOP era it was fatal. After CHOP roughly 60% made it to 5 years. After rituximab that is now around the 80% range. In children it is in the 90% range.

Breast cancer even if found early is followed up by chemo as evidence has found that doing so will reduce the chance of relapse. This goes for just about all solid cancers.

I believe in looking at statistics. It's the best way to an accurate picture of what's going on
    . That's great but looking at the stats and coming to the wrong conclusion isn't going to help you much. Also be mindful that most here are on or have been on chemotherapy and you do need to try and be diplomatic.
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !

Blog Entries
    Commtr you might want to read this

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...ork-after-all/

Give it a good read and follow the links
    Age 62

Still alive in 2019 !

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    Commtr you might want to read this

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...ork-after-all/

Give it a good read and follow the links
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out. also regarding what someone else said about being diplomatic, yes I don't mean to come across as a hard-*ss. I simply believe that correct interpretation of statistics is the proper way to go.

Regarding cancer, yes obviously any solid tumor that is caught early enough is simply cut out - eg. breast cancer, pituitary gland tumor, colon tumor, etc. The main problem of course is most of these things are completely symptom-free until they have advanced to the stage where it's a lot more difficult a problem.

I'm not a nay-sayer though. Actually I do my part to fight cancer. I work at a place that develops technologies for destroying tumors.

You would not believe what "treatment" my family is pushing onto my wife (see signature). Dig out soil (deeper is better), administer it onto skin where liver is and put legs i hot water with soda bicarbone. This shoul cure cancer. The worst thing is that I need parents in law to help around the households and on the same time I have to figbt back dangerous quackery (enormous amygdalin doses, aloe vera doses, brutal "Dachau- like" diets any other BS they find on the net and want my wife to eat). Pure and sime medieval thinking. Right now I am looking at my wife covered in soil and with legs in hot water. Unbelievable but what can I do? I consider it harmless so just let it be I do not want parents in law to be offended. Bizarre yet tragic situation I am in....
    Caring husband of 34y wife
    March 2014: dx pT4bN2M1, bilobar liver mets, lung mets, omentum met, 15/17 LN positive, colon tumor resected
    Apr 2014: XELIRINOX (xeloda+oxi+irinotecan)
    June 2014: CT: shrinkage of liver mets by 50%, some dissappeared. Xeliri (xeloda+irinotecan); CEA 1,8
    Oct 2014: CT: shrinkage everywhere,but new liver tumor 3+cm... now Xelox..CEA rising
    Dec 2014: CEA 6,
    Jan 2015: CEA 8,7; CT: new tumor on liver now 9cm, new mets on both adrenal glands, tumors in retroperitoneum, growing lymphs in lungs
    Feb 2015: bilateral adrenalectomy, bilobar liver resection, part of stomach resected. abdominal area cleared of disease
    March 2015: agressive growth in abdomen, liver,kidneys, peritoneum. Malign ascites. General body exhaustion
    March 15 2015: My beloved wife has found eternal peace....