A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of sCam cancer cures proven not to work

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

List of sCam cancer cures proven not to work

Hi

Below is a list of Alternative modalities proven NOT to work. This list is prepared by the ACS

"Acupuncture, aloe vera, alsihum, amalgam removal, antineoplaston therapy, applied kinesiology, aromatherapy, astragalus, aveloz, bee venom therapy (apitherapy), bioenergetic therapy, biofeedback, black cohosh, black walnut, bodywork, CanCell, cancer salves, cassava (tapioca), castor oil, cat's claw, cell therapy, centella (gotu kola), chaparral, chelation therapy, chiropractic, chlorella, colon therapy, comfrey, craniosacral therapy, crystals, cupping, curanderismo, cymatic therapy, DHEA, Di Bella therapy, DMSO, electromagnetic therapy, enzyme therapy, Essiac tea, evening primrose oil, faith healing, fasting, feng shui, flaxseed, flower remedies, Fu Zhen therapy, germanium, Gerson therapy, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, goldenseal, grape cure, Greek cancer cure, guided imagery, HANSI, holistic medicine, homeopathy, Hoxsey herbal treatment, humor therapy, hydrogen peroxide, hydrotherapy, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, hypnosis, visualization, immuno-augmentative therapy, inosine pranobex, kampo, kombucha tea, krebiozen, labyrinth walking, Laetrile, larch, light therapy, lipoic acid, Livingston-Wheeler therapy, macrobiotic diet, magnetic therapy, maitake mushroom, meditation, metabolic therapy, moxibustion, mugwort, Native American healing, naturopathy, neuro-linguistic programming, Noni (morinda) plant products, ohashiatsu, oleander leaf, orthomolecular medicine, osteopathic manipulation, oxygen therapy, pau d'arco, polarity therapy, poly-MVA, potassium supplements, pregnenolone, psychic surgery, qigong, rabdosia rubescens, red clover, reflexology, reiki, Revici guided chemotherapy, Rosen method of bodywork, Rubenfeld synergy method, saw palmetto, sea cucumber, 714-x, shamanism, shark cartilage, Siberian ginseng, snakeroot, tai chi, Tui-Na, urotherapy, Vitae Elixxir, vitamin K, Watsu, wheatgrass products, and yoga.

This info come from a book published by the ACS called "Guide to Complementary and Alternative Cancer Methods"

The fight against cancer mirrors life in that to succeed in life takes hard work and there is no easy road to success. If anyone claims that it is easy to cure cancer then you should view any info they give as suspect.
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

I have always relied on the information from Sloan-Kettering for any research I've done on supplements. If the ACS isn't your cup of tea Crusoe, maybe what S/K has to say might help.

The full report, with references, can be found at the link below:

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69118.cfm

Common Name

Apricot pits, vitamin B17, mandelonitrile-beta-glucuronide (semi-synthetic), mandelonitrile beta-D-gentiobioside (natural product), laevorotatory and mandelonitrile, prunasin

Brand Name

Laetrile®, Amigdalina

The mechanism of action is unknown. Claims for amygdalin's activity rely on the theory, now proven false, that cancer cells contain elevated amounts of beta-glucosidase and reduced levels of rhodanese compared to normal cells. Based on this incorrect assumption, cancer cells were claimed to metabolize amygdalin into cyanide and die, while healthy cells would convert cyanide to benign thiocyanate via rhodanese. Limited in vitro data support the idea that cyanide, benzaldehyde, and prunasin are cytotoxic. It has also been postulated that cancer develops due to deficiencies in vitamin B17, but no data substantiate this idea.

Warnings

Amygdalin is not approved for use in the United States.
    Pharmaceutical evaluation of the injectable formulation showed pyrogen and microbial contamination, and both injectable and oral dosage forms did not contain labeled amount of amygdalin.

Adverse Reactions

Reported (oral): Dermatitis and cyanide toxicity consisting of nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, mental obtundation, cyanosis, hypotension, ptosis, neuropathies, coma, and death.

Reported (oral): Severe cyanide poisoning following ingestion of 3 grams of amygdalin with concurrent use of high doses of vitamin C.
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Banned New User
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj11 View Post
    I have always relied on the information from Sloan-Kettering for any research I've done on supplements. If the ACS isn't your cup of tea Crusoe, maybe what S/K has to say might help.

The full report, with references, can be found at the link below:

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69118.cfm

Common Name

Apricot pits, vitamin B17, mandelonitrile-beta-glucuronide (semi-synthetic), mandelonitrile beta-D-gentiobioside (natural product), laevorotatory and mandelonitrile, prunasin

Brand Name

Laetrile®, Amigdalina

The mechanism of action is unknown. Claims for amygdalin's activity rely on the theory, now proven false, that cancer cells contain elevated amounts of beta-glucosidase and reduced levels of rhodanese compared to normal cells. Based on this incorrect assumption, cancer cells were claimed to metabolize amygdalin into cyanide and die, while healthy cells would convert cyanide to benign thiocyanate via rhodanese. Limited in vitro data support the idea that cyanide, benzaldehyde, and prunasin are cytotoxic. It has also been postulated that cancer develops due to deficiencies in vitamin B17, but no data substantiate this idea.

Warnings

Amygdalin is not approved for use in the United States.
    Pharmaceutical evaluation of the injectable formulation showed pyrogen and microbial contamination, and both injectable and oral dosage forms did not contain labeled amount of amygdalin.

Adverse Reactions

Reported (oral): Dermatitis and cyanide toxicity consisting of nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, mental obtundation, cyanosis, hypotension, ptosis, neuropathies, coma, and death.

Reported (oral): Severe cyanide poisoning following ingestion of 3 grams of amygdalin with concurrent use of high doses of vitamin C.
    3 grams is 3000 mg. Take 200 mg of laetrile and the next week take 200 mg of methotrexate and see which one kills you. S/K has a vested interest in surpressing alternative treatments. The book "the cancer industry" will explain this in detail.

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
    S/K has a vested interest in surpressing alternative treatments. The book "the cancer industry" will explain this in detail.
    You mean the book by a guy with zero medical expertise who was fired from MSK? Oh yeah I trust him. No way is he just trying to zing MSK and make a pretty penny in the process with more conspiracy silliness.

Newbie New User
    Definately not feng shui, hypnosis, visualization, reflexlogy...all these are for general well being as a whole and personal development. I agree, no one should claim they have a cure for cancer. This list is good. Thanks for the info.

Experienced User
    Strictly speaking if you use the word cure as the criteria, you really couldn't list chemotherapy or radiotherapy either so it's really quite disingenuous. That said, a lot of the things on that list are clearly nonsense, others have demonstrable efficacy, even if they stop short of being cures.

Top User
    OK then define "cure" as it relates to cancer. To me that means long-term survival and an extremely low chance of it recurring. Given that, I agree few if any cancers are cured by chemo or radiation, although there may be a few.

But that isn't what we're talking about here. We're talking about all these "alternative" cures which are known to be BS. As for "others have demonstrable efficacy," like-? And oh btw pls back it up. Claims are only that and by themselves frankly meaningless and so have a rather short leash here.

Newbie Regular User

cancer can be cured book

have anyone seen the dvd or read the book (cancer can be cured) is it all bull or can it help.

dogriver, people on this Forum would vote "bull" on this one. Here is what the American Cancer Society has to say: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Trea...cer-management They also publish a book called "Guide to Complementary and Alternative Cancer Methods" which is generally available. In it, the ideas put forward by this priest (the author of the book you are asking about) are debunked. Aloe Vera does not cure cancer.

I wish I had the answer you want, dogriver, but believe you are asking in hopes of getting straight information. Good luck to you and your husband.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 67
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.
    April 2017 - Mid treatment scan shows about 1/3 reduction in multiple tumors. Also shows abdominal aortic aneurysm with peripheral thrombus. Cardiologist changed meds, spoke of need for surgical repair down the road.
    September 2017 - finished 10 rounds of R-CP, V was stopped due to neuropathy in feet. No further treatment planned at this time, at least 10 tumors can be felt which seem to be growing again.
    December 2017 - Biopsy of external iliac node with SUV of 13.1 shows no transformation! However, the FL grade is now 3A instead of Gr 1-2. Will start indefinite protocol using Copanlisib, one of the new targeted therapies. I remain hopeful.
    March 2018 - Copanlisib failed, treatment stopped 3/28. New plan is to go to Dana Farber on 4/16 for case review and treatment recommendation.

May 2018 - did not qualify for clinical trials at Dana Farber. Tumors need to get larger to be considered. On consultation w/Dr. Armand at DF and my onc, have decided to take a break from cancer treatments. Will have a biopsy of the mass in my sinus discovered in scan at DF and to get the aneurysm repaired as it has developed a potentially catastrophic penetrating ulcer. Surgery scheduled for 7/12.

September 2018 - biopsy of mass in nose shows transformed DLBCL throughout. Assessing options for this negative development.

October 2018 - started 6 to 8 cycles of R-CHOP. Goal is to get to full remission to open up other options.

February/March 2019 - PET shows four hot spots following R-CHOP. referred to Dana Farber for stem cell transplant. Pre testing all good, accepted for Auto Transplant. Will begin inpatient process about April 1.

Newbie Regular User
    Thanks for the info. I did order the dvd and the book haven't receive them yet!( it was before I found this site) I could of saved myself $122. I feel like a total idiot...I'm sure that there won't be a money back guarantee.