A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HElp please please please please

HElp please please please please

Hi All,

My dad was diagnosed with stage for adenocarcinoma of the lung back in september of 2009. After 6 rounds of carbo platinum and taxol he finished chemo on 01/04/2010. the cancer was on the right lobe and well as the paracardial sac, (the membrane that surrounds the heart) since then the dr said that he was in remission/.
    we went to the oncologist on Tuesday of last week and red blood cell count was low, lower then its ever been throughout chemo. platelets and white blood cell is normal. My dad already had one transfusion of red blood cells last month in feb and received another one this past Thursday. Any idea what could be causing this anemia- additionally does anyone know of a good hemotologist/ oncologist in IL, as we'd like to get a second opinion.
    Beyond tiredness and shortness of breath, no other symptoms exist currently.
    Please please help!

This is worrisome as his counts should be stable with no chemo.

Are you in the suburbs of Chicago by any chance?

I'd also question any doctor that uses the word remission for Stage IV lung cancer.

Has his shortness of breath gotten worse? When were the last scans done?

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Yes i am in the suburbs of chicago, glen ellyn/lombard area. Yes it is worry some especially since he's now had 2 transfusions done, one done last thursday and one late jan/early feb. Last CT scan was done in january, after the 4th sometime. The dr called him stable, and didn't say that the cancer was gone. After two rounds of carbo taxol dr's said that the tumors did shrink and after the 6th chemo dr said the scans were the same as after the second chemo.

Any idea what's causing this anemia.
    WBC 7.4
    HGB 8.6
    PLA 180
    those are the numbers from last visit to the oncologist. additionally he has not been loosing any significant weight, it will be like 2 lbs increase, 1 lbs decrease etc.

also he's currently on
    ramipril, digoxin, and carvedilol for his heart..as prescribed by the cardiologist.

I'll send you a pm with the name of an oncologist who does hematology work too. Call them and explain the situation and maybe they can help point you in the right direction or give a second opinion. What is the doc saying about the reason for the low count?

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

the doctor is not 100% sure on what's causing this, initially it was that it is a side effect of chemo but now its over 2 month since last chemo, so the doctor is not certain on what is causing this. It could be a still a side effect of the chemo, cancer has come back, or something new. We are going on tuesday we are going for blood counts, and Thursday of this week for a Bone scan and a CT scan, will post results here, but i am scared!

I've sent you the pm, but it does appear that the doctor is on top of the situation. I have no idea why the counts would be low. He's not losing weight, so let's hope the cancer isn't racing back.

Keep us posted.

God bless,
    PBJ

Yes, i agree, which is why i want to get another opinion too. the counts should not be low after 2 months of finishing chemo. maybe the dr is on top of things, and wants to do more testing to figure out why, but i feel like with a person who has cancer, time is of the essence. Moreover, its like he's loosing blood but from where? he does not have bloody stool or spetum.
    I could be completely off but if cancer is coming back wouldn't platelets take a hit too? or wouldn't white blood cells elevate? so i am telling myself its not cancer, it has to be something else, but what?

cancer is back, put my dad in the hospital for about week, we are going to a new oncologist at Rush University... he started him on a treatment of gemzar... praying for a miracle at this point.

Experienced User
    My husband (stage IIIb nsclc-diagnosed Jan 09) has done fairly well on Gemzar. It didn't shrink the tumors but has kept them stable and he has tolerated the Gemzar really well with few side effects. Good Luck!