A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my husband can't eat

my husband can't eat

my husband was doing ok with the radiation until last week they gave him a week break but he is having problems eating her has pain in his throat bad enough that he has trouble swallowing. he has a really bad taste in his mouth which makes it difficult to keep anything down. he can still drink water but throws up any time he takes pain meds or anti nausea meds. worried about what i shoud do. any sugestions? did anyone have these problems with radiation?
    -25 married to josh who is the one with cancer. he is 26
    -diagnosed may 12th 2010
    - extranodal nk/ t-cell lymphoma nasal type
    -after 6 weeks of radation it spreed from stage 2 to stage 4
    -4 rounds of smile chemo therapy later it was in remission
    - dec 19th 2010 allogenic bone marrow transplant
    -january relapse
    - long story short docs are confused as to why he is still alive
    -started a new chemo folotyn (pralatrexate injection)

Susan,

I would contact your husband's oncologist's office. You should be able to speak with a nurse about these issues. Then, the clinic will be aware of the issues and also will have suggestions for solutions. Once after a really rough chemotherapy I was trying to "tough-it-out," and I ended up loosing 10 pounds and being serverely dehydrated. That was really dumb of me to do (I really knew better). It really is no big deal to go into the clinic to receive iv fluids and/or nutrition. Some anti-nausea meds (such as ativan) can be placed under the tounge and allowed to dissolve rather than swallowing the pill if nothing stays down. You should ask your clinic nurse about alternative delivery methods for the anti-nausea meds as well. If he needs to go into the clinic for fluids like I did, then they will probably deliver anti-nausea meds via iv as well (that's what we did).

Best Wishes
    May 1988 acute lymphoblastic leukemia (2 yrs chemo & radiation)
    Sept 2009 papillary thyroid cancer (thyroid removal & radioactive iodine)
    Sept 2009 colon cancer stage IIIC (removal of sigmoid colon & resection)
    Oct 2009-May 2010 FOLFOX6
    July 2010 stage IV colon cancer, irinotecan & avastin
    Dec 2010-July 2011 avastin maintenance
    Sept 2011 tumor removal involving small bowel resections
    Nov 2011-April 2012 resume irinotecan
    May 29 2012 begin radiation treatments 15 total
    current age: 28

ok so update on 7/24 my husband had a feeding tube put in. since then he has had problems keeping down the stuff they have you put through feeding tube. i'm sure it dosen't help that it smells like a really bad vanilla candle. he is in the hospital today to have fluids replaced he has lost alot of weight he is down from 240 in may to 183 today. anti nausea meds don't seem to help.
    -diagnosed may 12th 2010
    -january relapse

I am so sorry to hear this Susan. I had hoped the feeding tube might be the answer. Please talk with his oncologist about your concerns and talk until you get answers and results. I keep you, your husband and your family in prayers and thoughts and hope there is a turn around soon ((((((((hugs))))))))))
    Total hysterectomy July 23 2008, mass in colon.
    Colonoscopy Aug 2008
    Rigid Sigmoidoscopy with a laparoscopic-assisted partial colectemy with enbloc small bowel resection Sep 2008
    Diagnosed: Stage IV Colon Cancer mets to lungs and liver. (T3,N2,M1,G2) KRAS Mutation
    Started chemotherapy: 09/14/09 Folfox-6/Avastin then Camptosar/Avastin & last Folfox-6/Avastin
    On Hospice, started 11/12/10
    Last PET scan: Oct 12th
    Most recent CEA Level: 09/27/10: 696.7 up from 08/16/10: 284.8

just an update. the cancer has spreed to his liver and a couple abdominal lymph nodes. he had SMILE chemo this week and was keeping food down before that started.
    -diagnosed may 12th 2010
    -january relapse

Newbie New User

Hi Susan, this is my experience, and treatments, miracle mouthwash was great ...

Hi All...
    It's been 2 years now and I,m cancer-free...I just had a 2nd PETscan showing NO-Cancer anywhere...Thank you Jesus...I had a cyst removed in 2005 after it swelled in my neck and was noticeable..I was told that it was sent off to the mayo clinic, that it was squamous cell cancer,stage 4A ,with a tumor in the base of my tongue, my ear nose throat doctor said it was capsulized and he saw no spreading, so I choose not to have any chemo or radiation, but after a 5 year break(2010), another lump on my neck, this time it was tumors in lymph nodes and that a primary tumor was located at the base of my tongue(By sticking a scope down my nose) then having a CTscan and MRI, it should be noted I never smoked but was a drinker for quite awhile, I,m in my 50's, and health was good. After surgery to remove 8 nodes, I immediately began chemo, which was (5)Eurbitux and (35) radiation treatments. The eurbitux was not bad , no hair-loss, however you get the bad rash (acne)during treatment, but after treatment rash goes away quickly, and was not sick at all...The radiation required getting a mask made to hold your head still during the 30 min ,5 day aweek treatments...the radiation is painless,but side-effects however after week 3-4 begin to cause problems eating, the sores in mouth were horrible and painful, the miracle mouthwash you get at pharmacy in the Large bottles..was great for killing pain, after losing weight and no longer able to eat by mouth, I then had to have another surgery to have a pegtube put in, it too is not bad, you just pour liquid food into a funnel to you stomach to eat. After finishing treatment of radiation, your mouth heals quickly, sores gone, acne gone, I did lose salvia in my mouth so now I have to drink tea/water/coffee all the time as my mouth is always dry somewhat. I had the tube removed after about 5 months after treatment, the sooner you get it removed, the better, and quicker you will eat by mouth...My taste came back after a short while, some drinks hurt my tongue, pop/beer/wine and spicey food burns more, so you'll adjust. I did get a turkey neck(flabby skin under neck/chin)from radiation, however it will smooth out also overtime...Summary...Although going through the treatments are nerve racking, and you will mark-off each day to the last treatment, YOU will recover quickly, and although you will not be the same as before, YOU are ALIVE...family members are a big help as are all caregivers, church members and friends are a great help...turn away no one, you will experience crying spells, sadness, no-hope, frustrations,anxietys and may refuse to finish treatments because of daily pain, but push on. I can tell you, YOU will get better, it will take a small amount of time, have friends, family go with you on chemo days, to talk to..read, watch tv,facebook, do as much as you can when feeling good, most ,if not all the doctor's,nurses, technicians, are there to help you get through a rough time...Cancer is no-longer a Death sentence, So get the treatments going, fight the good fight, and Happy Recovery to to live a long long time.....And with the exception of reading this or other testimonys, stay away from the internet, you will read or see bad info and try to apply it to your case and that makes things worst. God Bless...Charles in Ohio...P.S. I,M retired Officer and enjoying everyday with my family,friends,grandkids...Life Is Good!!! and yours will get better also

Newbie New User
    funny, I did not realize the above message I responded to was almost 3 years old, oh well , I hope my testimony can help someone today...Aug21,2013.

Charles,
    No worris, I've done exactly the same in the past.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Newbie New User
    Pick up a bullet blender. Add one ensure plus and add fresh or frozen berries. Add some crushed ice. Blend all well. Change flavors daily on rotation.

Hi, Charles. Went through similar treatment as you. I often answer posts, depsite them being older, strictly for posterity's sake. You never know when someone might come here as a new patient or supporter, looking for answers.