A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Had first colonoscopy-not good news

Talking Had first colonoscopy-not good news

I am new here to this forum and hoping that I can get some answers as well as some support for what I have just discovered.

Some background includes that I am a 39 yo female, over-weight and had my gallbladder removed in 2003. I suffered from chronic diarrhea for over a year after my gallbladder surgery and was told that this is a side-effect which would ease as time progressed. It did, but, just 1-1 1/2 yrs ago, it started again. I noticed that my diet was not good at all and thought that it was the food I was eating. It took my husband to beg me to go to a Gastro doctor to find out what was going on.

I went to see the doctor and he ordered both an upper and lower GI as well as the normal blood/stool tests. The blood and stool tests were all fine (no blood in stool or anemia). During the upper GI, I was surprised that they found polyps in my stomach, which are not only common but biopsy shows nothing to worry about. Then came the results of the colonoscopy. He found one flat medium sized polyp on the left side of the colon towards the splenic flexure. It was a more rare type of polyp called a Sessile Serrated Adenoma. It is considered pre-cancerous but benign and he removed it with cold-snare polypectomy. All of the dimensions were less than 1 cm. These polyps are more likely to become cancerous and also more susceptible to being missed by colonoscopy. They are flat and not raised and very hard to locate.

Now, with that said, I still have my symptoms of diarrhea and he has not diagnosed me as of yet. He has ordered me to do the "Pillcam" which is when I fast and swallow a camera the size of a large vitamin so they can look at my small intestine.
    I have been so scared to the point that I have changed my eating habits almost immediately. I am definitly making better food choices which will hopefully make me feel better physically and mentally. The diarrhea is not as bad (it was so bad that I was in the bathroom only 15-20 minutes after eating) but still soft, not watery.

I am confused now as to what to think. Should I be overly worried to the point that someday, even with yearly or bi-yearly colonoscopies, that I will die of this disease? What about the type of polyp they found? I heard that these type of polyps are linked to DNA and family history but, colon cancer does not run in my family. Both of my parents died at a very young age (59) of cancer. My mom was melanoma (from being in the sun to much) and my dad was a rare form of bladder cancer (from smoking for over 45 years). I see a Dermatologist yearly for skin checks and am ok in that department.

My GI doctor want me to get another colonoscopy in 6 months to re-check the area of the adenoma that was removed to make sure there is no re-growth. Also to check the whole colon. This alone scares me.

Any/all advice is appreciated!

stormchaser-scarey thought it may grow back but if they caught it in time and found no cancer you are one of the fortunate ones. I dont think its anthing you need to dwell on. As far as your BMs Maybe all you need to do is change your diet unless bloodwork show you have a digestion problem cause by your liver etc If your a drinker that can mess you up too. If you dont get the diahreah under control it may be other issues like I mentioned. I think as far as the cancer goes you may just have gotten rid of the possibility of developing it.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

I guess it is easy for most of you to tell me that "IT IS NOTHING I NEED TO DWELL ON". Most of the posters and members have already been diagnosed with some sort of cancer and I am sorry for those who have.

With that said, I am uneducated in this field and am looking for advice/answers from those of you who are. I made sure before I posted and became a member that this forum would be informative and supportive. I also saw that many posters/previous posters were 'on-the-fence' wether they had colon cancer or not. I saw this forum as not being specifically for those who already HAVE colon cancer by the posts I have read.

Anyone else with thoughts and advice would be greatly helpful

Top User
    HI Stormchaser,

You are so right about this site, You will get lots of support as its a great site for that, regarding in what you are going through, the test you are going to have will help. also you should ask to have another colonoscopy in 6 months...to make sure every thing is doing ok.

Main thing is this always be proactive and dont be afraid to ask as many questions as possible, but please do not cross any bridges until you get to them.

Live your life in been positive and trying to laugh as much as can as it does help your health, its good that your eating hapits have changed, as eating the right food DOES HELP FIGHTING CANCER AND DISEASE...check out on google ... Foods and cancer it will help a lot ....

Want to wish you all the Best in Life and know we do all care on here .... let us know how things are going and lets walk the journey with you...

BEST WISHES ....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    HI Stormchaser,

You are so right about this site, You will get lots of support as its a great site for that, regarding in what you are going through, the test you are going to have will help. also you should ask to have another colonoscopy in 6 months...to make sure every thing is doing ok.

Main thing is this always be proactive and dont be afraid to ask as many questions as possible, but please do not cross any bridges until you get to them.

Live your life in been positive and trying to laugh as much as can as it does help your health, its good that your eating hapits have changed, as eating the right food DOES HELP FIGHTING CANCER AND DISEASE...check out on google ... Foods and cancer it will help a lot ....

Want to wish you all the Best in Life and know we do all care on here .... let us know how things are going and lets walk the journey with you...

BEST WISHES ....Rob
    Thanks Rob and I will be doing my homework on cancer-fighting foods!

I guess I am still a little scared and mostly stunned. Stunned that if I would have not listened to my husband and waited, the adenoma could have been much worse. Plus, according to the AMA, you should have your first colonoscopy at age 50 or if you have a family history, at age 40. I do not agree with this at all and it should be put out there publically!!! I have no family history of colon cancer and went to see my GI because of chronic diarrhea. If I had no other syptoms, I would have waited until I was around 50 and probably would have been diagnosed with some sort of carcinoma.

The GI has already put me in for another colonoscopy in 6 months. I am also waiting to get the call to do the "PILLCAM" which will investigate my small intestine. I still have not been diagnosed and will keep you updated on whats going on!

stormchaser -I think the wrong messege came across when you read my post-sorry-I didnt mean for it to seem like a triviality I just meant that because there is no definate diagnosis of cancer-but It seems this next post you are waiting for results(This is an exptremely hard part because they dont realize how stressfull it is to wait day after day and there is really nothing one can do to speed up the process. sometimes seems to be forever. AS far as what you noticed about the forum-I have to say when you joined -within these last two months we have had alot of new members and probably what you read most of because they are the most recent -others pop theirs up to the top when they update .some have been here several years now-I pray your results of your tests are all something you are able to deal with. take care keep us posted.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.