A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Vietnam and Gulf War veterans may be eligible for benefits

Vietnam and Gulf War veterans may be eligible for benefits

Administrator, please make this a sticky on this board.

A point of information that may prove valuable to veterans of the Vietnam or Gulf wars (U.S., I don't know about our allies):

http://www.nhlcyberfamily.org/veterans.htm

The above site will give you info about benefits that you may be eligible for as a result of your service. I applied some months ago as I spent 9 years in the Marines, including 15 months in Asia a long time ago. The Veterans Administration says that if you were ever on the ground in Vietnam (I don't know the regs for Gulf War 1) it is presumptive that you were exposed to Agent Orange. They further state that exposure to Agent Orange is presumptive as a compensable cause for lymphoma,

I think this is of particular importance to any vets who find themselves battling cancer with limited resources. This is a significant source of assistance to them, both medical and financial. Here is the official page link from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefit...cide/aono3.htm

What this means is that if you were in Vietnam for even one day and now have or have had lymphoma, you are probably eligible for compensation. Please check it our and apply if eligible. The following is from the VA's benefits booklet:

Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange and Other Herbicides: A
    veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam between Jan. 9,
    1962, and May 7, 1975, is presumed to have been exposed to Agent
    Orange and other herbicides used in support of military operations.
    Eleven illnesses are presumed by VA to be service-connected
    for such veterans: chloracne or other acneform disease similar to
    chloracne, porphyria cutanea tarda, soft-tissue sarcoma (other than
    osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma or mesothe-
    lioma), Hodgkin's disease, multiple myeloma, respiratory cancers
    (lung, bronchus, larynx, trachea), non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, prostate
    cancer, acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy, diabetes mellitus
    (Type 2) and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

Good health to all,

kermica

Regular User
    Well been a 100% SC/PT disabled veteran for many years now a 200% disabled veteran. I developed one of the presumptive cancers dealing with the VA is not easy, see this form message about my experience with the VA https://www.cancerforums.net/threads...y-on-the-block

Maybe it was because I have private health insurance that the VA denied my cancer treatment not sure. But I have been writing and met with one of my local Senators concerning this issue. I told them I was told I had 3 months to live and it took 5 months for my VA claim to be approved. Also told him about my being a 100% disabled vet and having a cancer that is on the automatically to be service connected list and was denied treatment. Anyway see the above post for my story.

If you are a veteran and have cancer see a veteran Service Officer right away if you are in the hospital call and ask them to come to the hospital and help you file a claim. DO this right away do not delay also contact your local senator and explain your situation if it is one of the presumptive cancers.