A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Could this be breast cancer?

Could this be breast cancer?

For the last month or so I have had some discomfort mostly in the left breast. It started as a slight pain feeling in the center. It has now moved around to the outer left side near the armpit. I feel a discomfort there, not really a bad pain. It seems to come and go. Of course I am very scared as to what this could be. I am a almost 38 yr. old female. I have no health insurance. I was turned down for the policy my husband & kids are on because my weight is elevated for my height (5 feet, 200 lbs.). I was offered my own seperate policy for more than the total of my husband & kid's. Does anyone know what this might be? I am rather large chested (44 DD) if that makes a difference. Thank you for yor help.

MuttsMom
    Hi,
    Have you felt a lump? My suggestion would be for your peace of mind is to go see a doctor. There was a bill passed that made sure ever woman got a mammogram and pap smear once a year if they couldn't afford one. Someone might know what it's called or a link to it, but I don't have it right off hand. You might also call your health department and ask them and they would probably know.
    I was a 36C when I was dx and just turned 43. Mammograms are good for diagnosing, but they do miss quite a bit of breast cancer in women under 50 because of the breast tissue being so dense and in your case, you are very large breasted.
    I myself found a lump and it was time for my mammogram anyway. My mammogram missed a 5.5 cm tumor. They can do an ultra sound or a breast MRI (new since I was dx) which I'm sure is more accurate. I would say if you feel a lump, do whatever it takes to get it checked, with or without insurance. And don't let anyone tell you that you're too young, there is no such thing. But, also remember that 80% of lumps are B9. I don't want to tell you that your symptons don't sound like BC because there is nothing normal about the disease, but more then likely it's not from what you're describing and from what I know but don't take that to mean not to get things checked out. You've noticed a difference and your know your body and you have to listen to what your body is telling you.
    Best of luck and let us know
    Nancy

MNlady13
    Hi, that's some insurance company your husband has. I thought a family policy covered all the members of the family. I wish I knew about a law that provided mammograms and pap tests to those who can't afford them. I have a sister in Texas that has not had either in years (she's almost 56) because she does not think her insurance covers the tests. I agree with Nancy that you should probably get this checked by a doctor. It could be related to your menstrual cycle, but you should find out for sure. Good luck and keep us posted. Lauri

VAfiend
    Do get yourself checked--even if insurance doesn't cover, it's worth the cost. That being said, I'm around the same size as you, and started having similar problems around your age, related mostly to the strain on the surrounding muscles from the pull. I do have breast cancer now, but that's 10 years later, and completely unrelated.

Tracey
    Hi,
    I think you should get this checked ASAP. I had similar sensations in my left breast, which turned out to be breast cancer. There was NO LUMP and nothing palpable at the time I was diagnosed. Call the American Cancer Society and try to find out where you can get a free exam. You need to see a doctor and have a mammogram.

Top User
    Hello

Pain is usually not present in breast cancer, BUT it can certainly be present. Other causes of this would be trauma that causes what we call fat necrosis, or even in the absence of trauma, since your breasts are large. Other diseases that cause breast pain include mastitis or even fibrocystic breasts. As pointed out above, I would check with your Doctor. I understand you are uninsured at this point, but I think there are ways to get mammograms for free, and a consult will not be very expensive.

regards,
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

Thanks for everyone's replies. The insurance my husband & kids have is for individual's. He is self-employed. I was turned down 2 years ago when we applied because my weight was too high for my height. I am in the middle of re-applying now & hope they take me. I am hoping it comes thru for me so I can go to the Dr. right after. If it was breast cancer, how long before you noticed symptoms would cancer be growing? Is there a general time period here? Thanks for all your help.

Top User
    Hello

Breast cancer will go unnnoticed for several years before a lump can be palpated.

regards\
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

The question I am getting at is if I wait a few months for this insurance to be approved am I at a very real danger for the cancer to be growing at a rapid pace? Is a few months going to make a difference?

Hello

This is a judgement call. Evne though I don't think it is likely to make a difference, this should be evaluated as soon as possible. You could just get a mammogram now which is not very expensive.

regards,
    Leo