A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Mesothelioma - Question about the cancer's progress

Newbie New User

Mesothelioma - Question about the cancer's progress

Hi All,

My Dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma just over 1 year ago. He has had a chest tube for several months which required frequent draining. They removed the tube today as he is no longer producing fluid?

What does that mean for his prognosis? I'm assuming it means the cancer has progressed significantly but I'm not sure what to expect now. My Dad doesn't like to talk about it and seems to try and avoid getting much information from the Dr.

To be frank, I have been surprised at how well my Dad has done up to this point. He has had heart problems for many years.

I dont know anything about mesoltheliom proceedures but if they removed the drain tube its probably one of these two resons....either they need to put in a new one because they can only use one for a certain period of time and need to change it..and will leave it out to see how hes doing on his own. or they feel the fluid isnt building up anymore and that its not necessary at this time. If "hes doing well considering his heart problems up to this point." then he must be improving. keep us posted and if someone eles can give you information on your specific question they will. till then hope he is improving. keep us posted.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    I dont know anything about mesoltheliom proceedures but if they removed the drain tube its probably one of these two resons....either they need to put in a new one because they can only use one for a certain period of time and need to change it..and will leave it out to see how hes doing on his own. or they feel the fluid isnt building up anymore and that its not necessary at this time. If "hes doing well considering his heart problems up to this point." then he must be improving. keep us posted and if someone eles can give you information on your specific question they will. till then hope he is improving. keep us posted.
    My understanding is he is no longer producing fluid so the chest tube isn't required. He isn't having the cancer treated so everything they do at this point is palliative. I'm just trying to figure out what happens now.

Thanks for your help

Hi oc64. I am so sorry about your father's Meso. I have very little knowledge about this type of cancer but I think it has symptoms that are close to Lung Cancer.

That he is no longer producing any fluid sounds great to me! As you said, that is why he had the tubes in the first place. It might mean exactly the opposite of what you fear. It might indicate that his cancer has not progressed. Try to enjoy this relatively good time. Keep us informed.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by brainman View Post
    Hi oc64. I am so sorry about your father's Meso. I have very little knowledge about this type of cancer but I think it has symptoms that are close to Lung Cancer.

That he is no longer producing any fluid sounds great to me! As you said, that is why he had the tubes in the first place. It might mean exactly the opposite of what you fear. It might indicate that his cancer has not progressed. Try to enjoy this relatively good time. Keep us informed.
    Thanks for the info. We have now learned that the cancer is a tiny bit worse on the right side but essentially unchanged on the left. He seems to be hanging in there ok.

Newbie New User
    Hello, I'm very sorry you are having to go through this! It's a terrible condition which I have now seen first hand with my father in law, unfortunately he passed away this Saturday gone only 6 weeks after developing symptoms and 3 weeks from being diagnosed. I wanted to send my best wishes to you all and hope your dad keeps fighting

Sarah, I am very sorry about your father's death. My condolences to you and your family.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Oh Sarah -- I'm just seeing this post. My sincere condolences to you and your family on your father in law's passing. May God's peace and comfort be with you in your grief.

Hugs,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!