A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Local recurrence, yes - it's back

Thanks everyone for all your answers and encouragement, I really appreciate you!
    It's been a long week waiting for my surgeon to return, but tomorrow I have my appointment with him, and Tuesday with my oncologist.

Sarah, I didn't stay depressed for too very long...going back to work helped. Someone asked if I have a good support group and the answer to that is YES. My family is great, my work family too did so much to get me through this 3 years ago, and I have a lovely small yet close neighborhood where we spend time at the Chesapeake Bay in the summer. I am richly blessed.

Also, I think I told you guys that this past winter I began to learn how to paint (write) icons at a small monastery near me. It is a very prayerful discipline and helps me spiritually. I am learning how to do the gold gilding of the halos...the use of egg tempera and natural pigments and all the symbolism involved. I finished ST Michael the ArchAngel, now i'm also working on The Angel Gabriel and Jesus Pantokrater. It is indeed important to have something to takes one's mind off things!

Does anyone know how to attach pictures? I may try to figure that out so I can show you my humble effort.

Cheers
    DulcimerGal
    Rectal Cancer diagnosed Valentines Day 2008 - stage 3
    Finished 6 weeks of radiation and chemo 4/23/08
    Surgery to remove tumor - June 18th 2008
    Colostomy Reversal August 20th 2008
    Chemotherapy 5 months (Xeloda) finished Christmas 2008
    Local recurrence found May 2011
    Permanent colostomy and salvage APR surgery June 3rd 2011
    Stage 3C - 4 of 12 lymph nodes involved
    Finished 12 treatments of FOLFOX 6 - January 17th 2012 - Happy Dance!
    March 2012 - clean CAT Scan
    August 2012 - Cancer moves to stage 4
    CAT shows cancer cells implanted in pelvis/abdomen
    September - PET shows lung lesion 1.4 x 1 cm
    October - begin sessions of Folfiri.3 - Avastin, Irotecan, 5fu
    February 2013 - tumors shrinking, continuing biweekly chemo
    April 2013 finished all 12 Folfiri treatments, scan shows only lung lesions
    May - October Blessed chemo break!
    October 2013, scan shows more growth in pelvis and lungs
    Continue with biweekly Folfiri.3 - Avastin, Irotecan, leucovorin, 5fu
    April 2014 CAT scan shows tumors in liver
    June 2014 More tumor growth, stop Irinotecan cocktail after two years
    June 2014 Begin Regorafenib (Stivarga)

Hi gang,

Well, last post looked more cheerful, but I am very down in the dumps tonight. I should have stayed off the Internet.

Doc was great, he is ordering PET/ CT right away and scheduling surgery as soon as he can fit me in.
    I should probably get a call tomorrow giving me dates...since he had just returned he could not set it up today without his scheduler.

I am having a Salvage APR, it sounds horrible. I should never have gone to do the research as the long term survival rates after recurrence just don't look good do they? I know many of you know that...but like Sarah said, when you face it for yourself it is rather devastating. Lots of chance for infection, especially when radiation has already been done. And of course...who knows what the PET may show for other sites, lymph nodes and hot spots. I gotta stop!

Walter - you are my good news today! Glad you are staying away from the drink...I am taking my own advice too....as I sure could use a nice whiskey right about now.

Tomorrow afternoon the oncologist....not sure I can face work in the morning.....

Night everyone...
    DulcimerGal

And of course....permanent colostomy....I forgot that part...

Dulcimergal-Geeze Im sure that real difficult to stay in a good mood. too much on your mind right now. but as much as you can think of negatively it can be just as much of a chance for it to work out as well-at least right now today. They at least have a plan(could have said no sense in trying) but they didnt. They wouldnt put you through surgery if they thought it was hopeless. I am sorry you have to deal with the colostomy. some people dont have a difficult time(the emotional adjustment is usually hard) but you had a temp one and at least you have an idea what you are doing.Its just unfornunate you have to resolve to t is what it is. The only problems mom has now is some of the meds give her diahrea and too much gas which gives her some problems. remember it takes time for your body after surgery shock to get into a routine..Im sure you remember. all I can do is keep you and your scan and surgery results in my prayers. That soon you will get physical/stress relief soon. I think going to work may help with a little mind distraction.-I tried researching that type of surgery and couldnt find much on it. The surviaval rate of 30% was only resulting from that particul study on those particular years-weve come alot further since those studies -look at how things have progressedin the last 5 years just since moms been diagnosed. the last time chemo was said to be her last- but here she is they have figured out a newcombo for her and they are giving it another try. moms initial diagnosis that long ago she was only given a 10% survival rating and possibly 6mo to a year from her first surgery-struggling but went shopping sat and made us all dinner Sunday and she is still amazingly here-soo my point? too unpredictable to say that you cant be one of those percents -somebody has to be kicking cancer butt-why cant one of those somebody be you as well?again keep us posted and hang in there.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Yup Sheia - you got it right....I want to be your Mom!

The big mental adjustment may just have to be living with a chronic illness. I hate being sick, hate not being active and able to go go go. Hate the thought of the last years of my life being filled with Doctor visits..medications...bags and emptying them...chemo...etc etc plus really hate the thought of the long term stress on my family and caregivers. I know I am sitting here thinking of everything at once...instead of taking it one day at a time. I need to be focused more on kicking cancer butt like I used to be.

I have to climb out of this funk. Boy I really hate how cancer just snatches your future.
    Thanks for your kind words...and reminding me that

1. Others are in worse shape than I....
    2. I don't have to be a statistic, especially one based on old stats...I forgot that for an evening!

Cheers for now
    DulcimerGal

Dulcimergal- also remember2more things...sure-it probably will be a combination of all you mentioned you will get frustrated and depressed but you will also have those times with your loved ones that you wouldnt have had maybe even 15 years ago. first diagnosis woudl have been it.
    also remember you found it and are doing something about it alot of us could have it but it wasnt discovered and put in our face- and its not being treated.
    as far as how long one lives with or without a diagnosis or even a guestimated survival range stat really means nothing when it comes down to it remember the story of the perfectly healthy women on the news ran back in her house for her name tag for work was in a hurry fell down her steps hit her head broke her neck and was gone. so my point? dosnt matter healthy or ill when your times up its up. Just that youve got the physical and mental awareness of all the battle gear because you know whats wrong. maybe in her case its better not to know anything but then if you think about it-everyone would be afraid to move eat fall asleep or do anything because something might happen-it may be the end. so really I hate to see anyone have to deal with anything except enjoying life. but since no choice is involved you can either make yourself miserable for the time alloted or try and make the best of it. Its not my opinion its just the truth of a fact. thinking about you and hope your fighter mode turns on soon!
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Thanks so much Sheila!

So - today - the Oncologist. He also is a wonderful Doc. He is insisting on setting up the PET/CT himself as he wants to make sure it's not done at a mobile imaging center....something I had not thought of. He went over the CAT scan with me to show me there has been no change in the last two, just this thickening where the tumor is located. I will just have to be patient while this get scheduled ( and I expect most of that is just getting insurance company approvals...)

He is hopeful it is just local. After I get the surgery and colostomy done..6-8 weeks then I will have to do six months of Folfox 6 with infusion. So it's back to having a port put in, they may do that when they do the surgery. I expected it would be Folfox....which I think is that oxyplatin stuff that others have had...?

He is also sending my biopsy etc for Kras mutation testing. So I feel at least like the plan is drawn up and laid out. Just waiting for the calls on the dates.

I am still in shock that I will have to go through all this all over again. In 2008 it was similar timeframe....surgery was in June of that year too and it took the rest of the year to get through the rest of the protocol. I think I am just really mad that summer..which I waited for all winter...will now be another one of recovery. Since this surgery will be right at my sphincter this time i'm gonna start praying I will at least be able to sit. That way I can still get into my kayak!

Guess I better go buy one of those darn rubber rings!
    Cheers for now
    DulcimerGal

Dulcimergal-at least you got some hope from your oncologist and you have a plan. sounds like your getting that Im not giving into this attitude-good to hear! also Im glad you have tenative fun planned to get you through the summer.hey-whats wrong with a rubber innertube? it can serve two purposes-one for comfort and two-if the kayak tips you have something to hang on to.picture floating in the water with your comfy cushion attatched to your butt! I do hope it goes smoothly for you and let us know when the surgery is schedualed-I will make it a point to say a little prayer for you that day-keep us posted.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion

Hi gang,

Thought I would update my own thread again, went to work today for my last day before the surgery, got the call from my Doc around 2pm that the PET scan was showing clean for liver and lungs! The whole area lit up around the colon/ sphincter and some lymph nodes as expected. So that was good news!

Doc is doing surgery at 11:00 am Friday, it should take around 4-5 hours. Putting in the port and doing the colostomy, ad of course removing tumor, nodes and cancerous tissue. Doc confirmed that sitting is going to be tough for several weeks, he should take out stitches after three weeks.

I expect to be in the hospital for about five or maybe six days. iPad is coming so I will post as soon as I am able. My daughter arrived tonight, blessed child, I am so happy to see her!

Tomorrow...my plan....church first thing....hair appointment next - gotta keep the priorities up....then home to drink the prep and do all the body washing with the special stuff they give you...!

Thanking God for his mercy towards me....
    Cheers
    DulcimerGal

Dulcimergal-Ill be praying for you and so hoping eventhing works out as planned. hang in there you did it before you can do it again, I just am sorry you have to. keep us posted.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion