A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: my story, what do you think?

my story, what do you think?

Hi, I tried to post about this a few weeks ago but it was a long post and when i had clicked send it had logged me out and I lost it all.

Firstly, i'd like to mention that my symptoms have been put down to anxiety. I don't mean any disrespect towards this illness, but i am posting out of genuine concern for my health and mean no offence to anyone. I am female in my early 20s.

I am going to go through all my symptoms and then go through all the doctors ive seen etc.

It started March when I first noticed my body was acting weird, though it had been going on longer but I hadnt given it much thought.I was going through 4 day cycles (roughly) whereby I would have very deep sleeps and then where I would not sleep/very very light sleep due to palpitations. Regardless of which sleep I was in (deep/light) I would wake up nearly every night with pins and needles (sometimes several times a night) in my hands. I know, and have always figured, this was just down to poor posture, but due to recent events im starting to worry this is important (i'll get to that later).

I got on with my life, attended my lessons etc.
    In April I had a full blown 'panic attack'. I was trying to sleep one night, I wasn't having palipitations and was in the 'phase' right before you drop off into sleep. For all intents and purposes I believe that I was relaxed, as ironic as it sounds. All of a sudden My heart started going very very fast, and I could also feel my head pulsing really really fast in my head. I didn't know what it was, I thought I was about to die and I was all alone in my flat as my flat mates had gone home for the holidays already, and so I rang for an ambulance. The did an ECG, obs and blood sugars. I was fine, aside from my very high pulse (140) and high blood pressure for me (my bp is normally 90/60 but it was 130 something over 70 something), I also had a slightly high temp of 37.9 C, but I was in a nightdress and it was very cold outside so I think this is high? I was not aware of any hyperventilation, as far as i was concerned I was breathing fine. It took me about half an hour to 'recover' from the attack as I was shaking a lot afterwards.

I went back inside my flat and watched tv to relax, but I was getting really weird head sensations which kept 'changing'. for a few minutes it would be pins and needles in my head, then a stabbing pain, then a pulsing, then numbing. But it was always at the bottom of my head.

The headaches got worse. They would stop me being able to sleep properly at night because everytime I layed down the headache got worse. I wasn't able to sleep until my body just conked out. After the initial 'attack' my headaches finally settled ,98% of the time on a numbing sensation, a numbing ache and occassionaly i'd get a deep sharp stab for a second or so.

I seemed to always be aware of my heartbeat, my heart always seemed 'fast', although it's never been dangerously fast, its felt fast for me. I went from being oblivious to my heart to always knowing it's there. Watching tv I would get shakey in my legs, feeling cold. I would have the headache and be aware of my heart, but I didn't think I was panicing. I was just watching tv, and my legs would shake. I thought i was managing to ignore my headache and heart, but I would then be shakey and cold.

On one night, I also woke up with pins and needles in both legs, but this only happened once.

I got very sleep deprived, because of the worsening headachs when I would lay down. I am aware this this may cause some of my symptoms. My headaches did get worse.

One night when i was trying to sleep and all of a sudden my left leg started shaking really bad, it was moving. Then my left arm and then my jaw. It lasted about 5-10 mins. This only has happened once.

I would be urinating a lot and my stools would be loose, but not diaorhhea.

When tryign to sleep I noticed that I would 'jolt' awake sometimes, as if i had not been breathing. My friend noticed this and said she thinks I must have anxiety about sleeping and so I keep panicing everytime i'm about to fall asleep.

I was watching tv and then went to take a shower and the left side of my face went numb. Then I had a really bad attack a day or so later and the left side of my neck as well as face went numb.

One day I noticed my left leg was tremoring when I was walking. Later that same day I was more very shakey when walking and I wasn't able to do the balance walking test successfully. On this same day my headaches had progressed to a burning sensation. I felt like my head was on fire, or about to burst up in flames, like I was getting pin prick stabbing of burns. and i had actually had soem good sleep!

I have been to hospital a few times, who all said I was fine. After the numbness in the left side of my body I went to an out of hours place with my friend and I went to be admitted to hospital. All my bloods were fine, they did an ECG while my head felt on fire, and they sent me for a head CT on the day that I wasn't walking right, with the burning
    I was in the CT very briefly, had 2 scans and they didnt use dye as i started having a panic attack in the scan so they took me out. They said It was fine and I was dishcarged

I have been given beta blockers and i'm still not sleeping well but in the last feew weeks my headaches (aside from the ocassionaly prickle) have gone and but heart was better, but now things are like they're firing up again. It's like the beta blcokers are wearing off and now im aware of my heart a lot again. I have noticed that I seem to be getting pins and needles easily. Tonight my arm hasn't been in an odd position or anything and, this time its my right side, my right fingers got pins and needles and then the whole arm. I still have it now actually. I have been sleeping much better, but still struggling in getting a good sleeping pattern.

It's very difficult for me to place all of this on anxiety, and I just don't know what to do. I'm worried that maybe the scan missed something. My symptoms do come and go, but i'm worried. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to see how to beta blockers are doing, and i'll mention this to him.

when in hospital etc my blood pressure was still high for me, although in the normal rnage, of like 137/78 etc and my pulse would be over 100, like 105

in addition, although its like i have always been aware of my heartbeat, on about 2 occasions my heart has gone VERY fast, to the point where i felt I was about to ahve a cardiac arrest. It's hard to explain, but if I have been having anxiety, then its like anxiety times 4, My heart has literally come out of my heart when this fast and one time I had an ECG and it showed interference but they said its fine and were annoyed at me for wasting their time

I have also had chest pains, they have been really bad when the above happens
    I have had pain on my shoulders and arms

also a couple weeks ago when my legs were shaking (not like that time i mentioned when trying to sleep) my jaw started shaking too. when this happened I was also feeling very sick, but i did not have a headache, i was just very nasuiated.

I have also had bouts of nausea

occassioanlly with the headaches in the past i did get nasuaited but i was never sick

Print this out so you have it all to show your doctor.
    None of us here can diagnose you and can only advise you to seek help if you feel you need to.
    Good luck.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Although there is no way for me to completely rule out a tumor, you symptoms are not those usually associated with brain cancers. To me, it does sound more like an anxiety issue. However, keep working with your own doctors to identify the cause/causes.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029