A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: "Varieties" of Testosterone "Food" for Prostate Cancer

"Varieties" of Testosterone "Food" for Prostate Cancer

I learned something firsthand today.

I have been on "Lupron" (or Eligard) testosterone suppressant for years, with negligible PSA until last fall. My PSA started rising, in the last nine months going from .01 to .08 to .16 to .3 to .9 to 1.4 to 2.8 each time (2.8 in June). That is DOUBLING or TRIPLING each time. I was getting worried about "refraction", where the testosterone-dependent cancer "decides" it has had enough with its food "rationing" and develops a "taste" for something else, rendering the Lupron ineffective and useless. I though I was there. I thought the next step was radiation or chemo.

But my oncologist had a hunch that the varieties of testosterone the Lupron was suppressing were not all there were, and so put me on Casodex as well to stop the last "holdout" testosterone my body was manufacturing. We knew it might take more than a month for results. We got the results! My PSA had DROPPED from nearly 3.0 to .8--so he was right after all! That gives me a reprieve, and buys me some time, but "the cancer" was "clever" enough to switch to something else than it had been feeding on previously, so I am not out of the woods yet.

But----I won *A* battle in this war!
    T-3, Gleason 9+
    RRP 2-26-07
    Was using Lupron HDT--
    Successful for four years,
    Not working anymore!
    Fast-rising PSA 6/11
    Provenge started 8/11
    PCa invasion of bladder 9/11
    Fossa lesion discovered 11/11
    IMRT/IGRT 80 grays 12/11
    Bone mets discovered 3/12
    Provenge declared a "bust"
    Taxotere infusions started 4/12
    PSA Coming Down
    PSA Going Back Up!!
    Taxotere declared a "bust"
    Zytiga, here we come!
    BAAD SE's on Zytiga, PSA quintupled!
    Now on Xtandi and Samarium 153

There is another explanation..Many times, the Lupron / Eligard drug does not lower testosterone to true castrate levels, or it's ability to do so wears off, allowing the cancer to gain strength..as the "T" level rises..Not only should you have your PSA level checked, but have your "T" level tested too. If it's above 10, there is room for improvement. Some doctors are content with a "T" level of 20 but I would not be. You might ask your Doc about trying a "Triple Blockade"...Lupron, Casodex and Avodart, all three combined to completely starve the cancer of the testosterone it needs...
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14. On 6/14 PSA 0.4, "T"-5. 10/14 PSA 0.6, T-11. 1/2015 PSA 0.106. 4/15. 0.4, 9/15 1.4, 3/16 Zytiga, 0.04, 5/17 1.4 may switch to Xtandi. 3/1/2018. PSA now 54, chemo will begin next month. 7/19, PSA 2000 starting Lu-177 tomorrow..77 years old now..

Yes, Fairwind, I am aware of the testosterone level connection and have had that tested and measured each time I get the PSA measured. My PSA was rising dramatically IN SPITE OF "castration"-level testosterone from the Lupron (measured as "less than 20" for years). The lower end of the "chart" of testosterone numbers for my tests was 20. The addition of Casodex didn't change the testosterone number of the tests themselves (already "off the chart" on the low end), but obviously lowered the type of testosterone upon which the cancer was feeding.

At any rate, it shows I am not yet "refractory" as I had feared, but this Gleason 9 bugger is wily, and I don't want to give it an inch if I can help it.
    T-3, Gleason 9+
    RRP 2-26-07
    Was using Lupron HDT--
    Successful for four years,
    Not working anymore!
    Fast-rising PSA 6/11
    Provenge started 8/11
    PCa invasion of bladder 9/11
    Fossa lesion discovered 11/11
    IMRT/IGRT 80 grays 12/11
    Bone mets discovered 3/12
    Provenge declared a "bust"
    Taxotere infusions started 4/12
    PSA Coming Down
    PSA Going Back Up!!
    Taxotere declared a "bust"
    Zytiga, here we come!
    BAAD SE's on Zytiga, PSA quintupled!
    Now on Xtandi and Samarium 153

Many medical oncologists will prescribe whats called a "Triple Blockade", Lupron, Casodex and Avodart to deprive the PC of as much testosterone as possible with drugs...Some advanced patients have had surprising success with DES, an estrogen compound that was used before the Lupron type drugs were developed..By keeping the dose low, the heart attack risk is manageable..Other men opt for surgical castration, inexpensive, very effective and no drug side effects...