A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: After 1st day of Chemo

Regular User

After 1st day of Chemo

Hi everyone. So my dad went in for his first day of chemo treatment yesterday...Carbo/gemzar. I talked to my mom last night and he wasn't feeling that great, but nothing that seemed different then the normal symptoms. He felt a little sick to his stomach (they gave him some meds to take for that) he was clammy, and pale. Kind of like flu like symptoms. After talking to my mom today, she said he didn't sleep any all night. He was complaining of back pain right in the middle of his back. The pain then moved to his chest, then to his left arm. now, my dad has had heart problems and stents put in, so we were immediately worried. My dad said it didn't feel like it did when he had his heart attack. Also, the doctor did an echocardiogram, and his heart looked fine. My mom called the on call oncologist, who said to just keep an eye on my dad, and not to bring him to the Er. she then called the oncology nurse, who said to bring him in to the ER. They are going to have my dad's regular oncologist call my mom soon.
    My question is...are these normal symptoms of this cocktail of chemo? We were wondering if these pains were just normal aches and pains associated with flu like symptoms. They seemed definitely sure that my dad's heart was okay for this kind of chemo, but now we are thinking he should have a nuclear stress test done to make sure. We also thought it was strange that my dad was having pains in the exact spots that they said his tumors were in. (left upper chest, and middle area) And my dad doesn't even know exactly where the tumors are to just have this in his head.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi Cordo,

Sorry for the delay in a response. How is he doing today? Usually the chemo-crash comes about three days after the infusion. I don't recall that my husband had any of those specific areas of pain, just an overall blechhh feeling. Some types of chemo also made him feel antsy or agitated. He'd look awful too -- very ashen with darkened circles around his eyes.

With your father's heart history, it's best to stay in close touch with the doctors. When in doubt -- go to the ER. Make sure he keeps up with the anti-nausea meds. If they're not working, call the doc and get a different prescription. It's important because he needs to keep his fluid intake levels up -- much more than normal. Adding Gatorade or a sports drink to the water/fluids is a good idea to ensure his electrolyte and potassium levels stay okay.

It's no picnic, but he should come around in about a week.

Keep us posted.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Moderator Top User
    Welcome Cordo; Sorry about the news about your dad. I had a stint installed my self and up until I was diagnosed with cancer I was most worried about my heart, but after the diagnosis it was about the last thing I thought about. I find the heart is pretty durable and kind of repairs it self in time, if you don't smoke. Pending how your dad's bowels have been and how he handles constipation, the moment he takes chemo he will likely stop having bowel movements. I normally fought constipation but prior to my last treatment I was having bowel problems, which made it worse after treatment. I had some of the same pains your dad had due to constipation. This may not be his problem, but it is common. He needs to keep his Oncologist informed of all his problems, I had very good treatment after the treatment, my Onc told me to call her with any changes or problems I was dealing with. She would change prescriptions over the phone if I had a bad reaction or give me new meds. Because of the blood clots I had in my lungs I had to sleep in a recliner for a couple months to get any sleep. Hope things get better.
    God Bless
    Dan
    57 year old male, Diagnosed Nov. 9,2007 with NSCLC IV with Mets to the lymph's and brain and now my pancreas (9/1/11)
    Had full brain radiation treatment in Jan 08 treatments now every 3 weeks with Alimta, stopped taking Lovenox for clots, working full time
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9993