A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Innovative breast cancer treatment UK

Regular User
    Barry, you bring up a pertinent topic. I, too, have my hope but it's pinned on an upcoming Herceptin/chemo combination that's delivered with a smart 'bomb' drug that's in its third phase of trials. It's so difficult to find a balance between hope and realistic thinking--for me, anyway. My own hope is sending me into denial, which I'm told is unhealthy. Others who are or have been through the cancer fight say good things about hope. Is there a good reason to grieve for a person who is still alive? After a year of it, it becomes intolerable and I doubt it would make the aftermath of death any easier. After I gained hope, it became easier to fully enjoy my mother. Before, our relationship was shrouded in my grief and hers. She mailed me a surprise gift yesterday. I'd never have been capable of basking in the delight of it without my hope. I heard a line in a film once that went, and I paraphrase, "Even in the darkest despair there is hope, " and followed to speak of how we can never be sure that the outcome will be dark. There is always reason for some hope. My therapist, however, tells me I need to accept the natural cycle of life and death. I am happy to do so after death has actually happened. Before that, I can't know how long this fight is going to last. Those who are given six months sometimes live for many years. Cancer is confusing as hell.

Kirtsen,
    Thanks for the response.
    I can relate to your perspective on hope and realism as most of us on here who have been or are going though the "mill" with any form of cancer have I'm sure felt the same. I know as i've been there, going through a complete raft of emotions from despair to euphoria, a mental pathway that frankly no human being should go through.
    I was once told the best attitude to have is one of pessimism,if one always thinks the worst you cannot be dissapointed, there is some truth to this, however I could never live my life with this attitude, how could I wake every morning thinking the worst,it would sour every waking minute, destroy relatonships and colour my perspective on life.
    My belief is we can only live our life in the present with hope in the future, neither in despair or euphoria, just a factual, realistic understanding of what it is and what can or may be.
    My faith isn't strong as I have witnessed and cannot understand the atrocities committed by man against man, strange for a person that in his late teens was drawn towards becoming an Aglican priest, I then realized the hypochrosy that existed within my church and its thinking ( I wont elaborate on this) and withdrew as a consequence.
    There is no elixir to outliving our natural life span, whatever that may be, my view is to live what life I have in the best way I can enjoying what I can, when I can.
    I cannot imagine me living a life where my attitude is is always in a negative state, anyway my family would kick my butt until I was out of it and I would simply stay in bed, closetted from the world, waiting for the end.
    No thanks Not for me, where there is a new day, there is life to be grasped and enjoyment to be gained, even if that is just breathing fresh air.
    The moral, life is good, good life is better than none, yet no one has an answer to the secrets of life. Life is what it is, it is how we deal with adversity that is important.
    Apologies for the rambling.
    Wishing and hoping the new treatment works.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+4.
    Active surveillance ceased and intervention recommended.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 07/09 to be done.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

While the discussion was too detailed to describe in full here, one thing we definitely appreciated was the honesty shown by all panellists in their responses. While probably not surprising to any of the audience, it was refreshing to hear Barbara acknowledge the expectations of shareholders when explaining how prices are set. It was also refreshing to hear Meindert describe NICE and the threshold that NICE is will to pay for drugs as political instruments.

Hi. First time posting. Am I allowed to ask a question if anyone has heard of a specific new experimental cancer drug? I read online about a promising drug that published with ASCO. I wanted to know if anyone had heard of it. My apologies if this is the wrong forum

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by mwinston111 View Post
    Hi. First time posting. Am I allowed to ask a question if anyone has heard of a specific new experimental cancer drug? I read online about a promising drug that published with ASCO. I wanted to know if anyone had heard of it. My apologies if this is the wrong forum
    Interested if anyone has an answer to this..
    Getting some breast cancer ribbon tattoos -

Newbie New User
    Thank you Baz

You have given such a wonder full information