A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is B17 good for you when you have cancer?

Senior User

Is B17 good for you when you have cancer?

I have been reading a lot this morning about the effects of B17 foods on cancer.

No. B17 is no vitamin, has laetrile in it, and is illegal in the United States. It is cyanide.

Experiments with Laetrile decades ago proved it wasn't an effective agent against cancer. The internet hypes all kinds of things.

You need to be aware that we do not promote alternative therapies in this forum.

Regards,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Prettybird
    I hate to rain on your parade, but a study of a "new anti-cancer substance" was published in the regular medical journals. Later, to the researcher's surprise, they discovered they were looking at Laetrile. So, there is some evidence of its efficacy, but it is definitely not something I would bet the farm on.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybird View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but a study of a "new anti-cancer substance" was published in the regular medical journals. Later, to the researcher's surprise, they discovered they were looking at Laetrile. So, there is some evidence of its efficacy, but it is definitely not something I would bet the farm on.
    Citations please

So, there is some evidence of its efficacy
    None that I see.
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Prettybird
    That study was preliminary. It didn't prove Laetrile is great or not. However, it is an example of how prejudiced we can be in our thinking about medicine. If the journal that published that study had known the new substance was Laetrile, the journal would have never been willing to print the study. What gets printed in our medical journals is very heavily censored based on what is in fashion. By fashion, I mean whatever way the people in charge see things. That is how studies get picked for publication. They have to fit the way the establishment thinks. If the people in charge don't see the value, studies don't get published. It is like the Indians at Plymouth Rock. They had never seen sailing ships before. So they couldn't see the ships until their shaman pointed it out to them. Another example: Ito eventually became famous for inventing a new type of calculus. Yet, his professors had refused to give him a Ph.D. for it because they just didn't understand the significance of his discovery. It is very difficult for humans to see something that is outside our concept of reality. Sometimes we believe so strongly in the medical establishment, that we are unwilling to consider any supporting alternative treatments. Sometimes we believe so strongly in alternative medicine that we are unwilling to even consider chemotherapy. It is hard to see both sides. Very hard. We can be blinded by our preconceived notions.

So, there are no scientific studies that prove it is effective. This site only supports PROVEN therapies.
    We support the conventional treatments not alternatives unless proved to work.
    There are many sites on the net that discuss both. This is not one of them. We, of course, all have personal choice but those members who choose this site choose conventional. Please read our rules for new members that are at the top of each forum. This is a support forum for those going through the day to day journey that is cancer.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybird View Post
    That study was preliminary. It didn't prove Laetrile is great or not. However, it is an example of how prejudiced we can be in our thinking about medicine. If the journal that published that study had known the new substance was Laetrile, the journal would have never been willing to print the study. What gets printed in our medical journals is very heavily censored based on what is in fashion. By fashion, I mean whatever way the people in charge see things. That is how studies get picked for publication. They have to fit the way the establishment thinks. If the people in charge don't see the value, studies don't get published. It is like the Indians at Plymouth Rock. They had never seen sailing ships before. So they couldn't see the ships until their shaman pointed it out to them. Another example: Ito eventually became famous for inventing a new type of calculus. Yet, his professors had refused to give him a Ph.D. for it because they just didn't understand the significance of his discovery. It is very difficult for humans to see something that is outside our concept of reality. Sometimes we believe so strongly in the medical establishment, that we are unwilling to consider any supporting alternative treatments. Sometimes we believe so strongly in alternative medicine that we are unwilling to even consider chemotherapy. It is hard to see both sides. Very hard. We can be blinded by our preconceived notions.
    Yes we can be blinded by a preconceived notion, your post is a great example.

You still did not provide any citations to your 'study'
    Age 60
    Stage 2a

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Prettybird
    That study was many years ago, and yes, I did not provide the reference because I do not have a photographic memory. Also, please note that I'm not a fan of Laetrile. I said that "I wouldn't bet the farm on it." You are right in that I do have an alternative medicine bias. I'm working on changing that, but I doubt I will ever swing completely over to the other side. I'm sorry if I offended you personally.

PS: I've learned from this website, and I feel it is doing a great service to the community. And I'm not saying that just because you have the power to kick me off this site. It does get frustrating though, when I know something that might help a person and I'm not allowed to share.

================================
    Sugiura ran his tests and this was his report. He came to five conclusions. Fist of all, he said, it [Laetrile] improved the general health of the mice that he was using. Secondly it appeared to relieve their pain. Thirdly it inhibited the growth of tumors. Fourth it stopped the spread of tumors.. and five it acted as a cancer prevention. That was his official finding. And at the end of this report, this is a quote ‘ Dr has never observed complete regression of these tumors in all his cosmic experience with other chemotherapeutic agents’ end quote.”

There will be no problems if you back up any claims you make with reputable Medical website studies. This is the focus of this forum. Links to anecdotal, quack claims, alternative websites will be deleted and you will risk banning. It is up to you whether you wish to accept our forum's rules.
    Do you or a loved one have a cancer that you need our support for?
    If not, and you just wish to "help," this forum may not be the best fit for you. It is a support forum as I stated previously.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Blog Entries
    Sugiura ran his tests and this was his report. He came to five conclusions. Fist of all, he said, it [Laetrile] improved the general health of the mice that he was using. Secondly it appeared to relieve their pain. Thirdly it inhibited the growth of tumors. Fourth it stopped the spread of tumors.. and five it acted as a cancer prevention. That was his official finding. And at the end of this report, this is a quote ‘ Dr has never observed complete regression of these tumors in all his cosmic experience with other chemotherapeutic agents’ end quote.”
    Oh dear you did not do you research well. Kanematsu Sugiura's original paper was discredited as no one could ever reproduce his findings. Subsequent studies have long since discredited laetrile. There is nothing to it.

I must reiterate what Di has written. This site is for people with cancer and their loved ones. It is here to enable those of us who have walked the hard road to walk with others so that they do not feel alone. If you do not belong to either above mentioned group then you probably should not be here,
    Age 60
    Stage 2a