A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breast Reconstruction Laws ???

Regular User
    Help, I need to be propped up. I have sent another email to the senator and still have not heard anything since they told me that they would check into it. I have a feeling that they just told me that to shut me up and never had any intention of doing anything about the problem. As far as the media goes, I do not know quite what to expect. I notified them of my case, but have still not heard anything. I think I have a fairly interesting story, but maybe that is just me. Just kinda loosing that fighting feeling. Kinda feeling defeated. like no one really intends on making this whole thing right. Well, I will just pray even harder, cause with God on my side, who could possibly defeat me....

Hey Keitha,

Now, now --- don't be getting down, be getting on the telephone to the Senator's office. Call your State representative, your State Senator, your U.S. House Representative, and both U.S Senators. Make some noise! Don't let them get away with this ca-ca. Get in the car and go to your local State Rep's office with all the information. That's what my late-husband and I did one time with our U.S. Rep -- or maybe I said that already. We rattled cages wherever we could over an issue with our daughter-in-law's immigration status.

I also agree that this is a great human interest story. Too bad they missed the moment with October having been breast cancer awareness month. Let the newspapers know that this Senator's office said they'd look into it, but you haven't heard a thing. Tell his/her office you're going to the press. With election season in full swing, they won't want any bad publicity!

Sending big hugs of support and know we're always here to prop you up! You are so right --- God is with you on this puppy!

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    GREAT NEWS!!!
    I just got off the phone with Tenn-Care and they have approved my reconstructive surgery. All I can do is sit here and ball my eyes out. This has been such a long journey. Thank you (especially pbj11) for all of your help and support. I know that I do not know you but I consider you a friend. In a way, after reading some of these heartbreaking posts, I feel guilty worrying about something as minor as reconstruction. There are so many people on here that are in such pain. I wish that I had found this site when I was first diagnosed. You guys would have been such a God-send. I catch myself daily checking up on certain posts, and trying to help where I can. Everyone on here is absolutely amazing and definately, whether they realize it or not, are doing Gods work. Thanks again

This is wonderful news!
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Keitha T. View Post
    GREAT NEWS!!!
    I just got off the phone with Tenn-Care and they have approved my reconstructive surgery. All I can do is sit here and ball my eyes out. This has been such a long journey. Thank you (especially pbj11) for all of your help and support. I know that I do not know you but I consider you a friend. In a way, after reading some of these heartbreaking posts, I feel guilty worrying about something as minor as reconstruction. There are so many people on here that are in such pain. I wish that I had found this site when I was first diagnosed. You guys would have been such a God-send. I catch myself daily checking up on certain posts, and trying to help where I can. Everyone on here is absolutely amazing and definately, whether they realize it or not, are doing Gods work. Thanks again
    Omigosh, Omigosh, Omigosh!!!!! Keitha -- I'm doing a happy dance for you! Congrats to you on all your hard work to get this puppy accomplished. You rock! This is some of the best news I've heard on these forums in awhile. Thank you so much for coming back to share the approval with us! I'm smiling from ear to ear.

You silly goose! You have traveled a cancer journey and this is part of that journey. Don't ever feel bad for posting.

Whooo-hoooo! Gosh this is good news.

Let us know how things go with the surgery. I bet you are so relieved. Ha! Check off one for the little guy!

Hugs and God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    Well, I contacted my plastic surgeon and gave the insurance lady my approval code from tenn-care. She contacted Tenn-Care and they denied it again. They said that my approval code has expired. One week ago, it was good. Now, Tenn-Care is telling me that I have to go and re-apply for their insurance, and if I am approved, then they will probably cover the surgery, but it could be considered pre-existing. The problem with this is that we do not qualify for Tenn-Care any longer. The only way we qualified before was because I had breast cancer and no insurance. So basically the only way I can get insurance coverage is to have cancer again. This whole thing is the biggest bunch of bullsh*t I have ever heard. The only reason they put that approval code in was to cover their own backsides, should I bring a lawsuit on them. Oh yeah, they said the approval for the reconstruction was only for a three week period, like that could be done. I am absolutely at the end of my ropes. I do not know if I should bother the state rep, senator and govenor any more, or not. I do not know if it ever did any good, in the first place. I honestly do not think any of these public officials give a damn about any of us. They are just worried about votes, so they tell you what you want to hear, and then they just stab you in the back. I bet if this was happening to one of their wives or friends, things would be completely different. They suck!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has any more ideas for me to try to get justice, let me know. I am completely out of ideas and need some of your brainwork. Thank you for letting me vent.

I don't wonder that you are at the end of your rope.
    I can be of no assistance but I hope someone will be by who may be able to help.
    You are in exactly the right place for venting.

This well and truly sucks.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Hi Keitha,

I'm stunned and so sorry they gave you a royal runaround. I've spent a few days thinking and, short of contacting Reps, Senators, Governor, etc. again, I don't know what to tell you to do.

I simply cannot believe they played a cover their a** game on you. I wish you could lay this out to the media. Try local media and some of the hosts at FOX news. Somebody has to get this out because Tennessee can't do this to you. This is a valid procedure and you were within the timelines for the reconstruction.

My heart sank when I read your post. I'm so sorry. I'll keep thinking......

God bless and gentle hugs,
    PBJ

I LOVE your answer! Yep. Media, is our last resort or better said, our equalizer. IN a broader way, Social Media could help..if Local media won't take it up.... but not in a way that has to compromise privacy concerns. Shame motivates where greed has started to take hold. Sending good thoughts your way, EM