A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768

Thread: New in TN

Senior User
    I agree with you both so much. With women, It is always almost whispered tone you can barely hear. People reach out and touch my arm ever so gently like I might fall over any second and Ask me. I tell them some times I think I am going deaf. Or to men I say I am great brother. I fell great like I could whip a man was, if I have to. Some laugh, some get upset. One of my cousins kept pushing one day to the point he got that response. He called my brother and asked what is wrong with me? He told him I was just keeping living like everyone else.
    Age 52
    Follicular Non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage 2 on 10-28-2011
    Upgraded to Low grade follicular non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage IV on 11-11-11.
    Cancer in lymph nodes found in neck, back of abdomen, between both lungs and cancer cells found in bone marrow test.
    Prescribed Treanda and Rituxan, 4 months. To start 11-28-2011.
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Rituxan treatments start 4-25-2012, once every two months for two years
    Learning as I go.

Senior User
    Hello Bank,

I just wanted to confirm what Po said, if it helps at all to ease your mind. You did not miss an opportunity to share your faith with the drunken man who showed up at your door. My father was an alcoholic and there have been others in the family, so I've dealt with this. But alcoholic or one-time drunk, it doesn't really matter, you cannot reason or have a resonable conversation with someone who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Calling the police or asking them to leave your premisis as soon as possible, is the best thing you could do to protect yourself and your famly.

I can relate to your struggles with "normal" conversations. With my son's first diagnosis I did reach out to friends and family and created a circle of support. Now, with his relapse, I find myself with a self-imposed isolation. If I try to have "normal" conversations and listen to them talk about their car troubles or work problems or etc., I listen politely but inside I am screaming "Don't you understand?? If you and those you love most have your HEALTH, you have EVERYTHING. So stop allowing these petty problems to consume you. This also applies to my husband. He's more stressed out about issues at work than he is about our son. I ask him "What's the worst that can happen?" Are you going to lose your job, are you going to die or get cancer or some other potentially fatal disease from this "problem"? Of course not!

It's what I want to say to everyone on the planet right now. "Get a grip! Praise the Lord you are healthy! Don't sweat the small stuff and it's alll small stuff!" So, I am not good company and I don't know how to fix this.
    Researcher, advocate, and caregiver to my son, age 24
    July 2016, Diagnosed with Systemic ALCL ALK-neg, DUSP-neg, stage IV, IPI 2, PIT 1, normal LDH, normal B2 microglobulin
    Sept 2016, Third round of E-CHOP complete;; PET scan NED
    Nov 2016, Sixth and final round of E-CHOP completed
    Primary side effects: Some mucositis and constipation, but this resolved early on. Fatigue. Thrush after chemo resolved with Nystatin. Depression (also an issue before cancer diagnosis).
    Continued to live alone and work two jobs through chemo!
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED
    March 2017, Experiencing symptoms: cough and stomach issues. Found two small lumps in neck
    March 2017, CT scan shows relapse. Confirmed by PET
    April 2017, CD-30 confirmed with biopsy; Begin Brentuximab for at least three cycles
    May 2017, Biopsy came back with new diagnosis: Classical Hodgkin's! Likely misdiagnosed initially (by three different pathologists).

Senior User
    Thanks VMarie. I agree I guess it might be me sometimes too. My wife wants to ask people when they're whinny, "did you die"? I have had that oh, poor baby stuff so much. I was at a local big box store this week and saw a friend, fellow church number, neighbor stop me and ask ever so quietly how I was doing. I said old and fat and laughed. She seemed to understand. A school classmate messaged me yesterday asking too, I ain't upset being asked I guess it is my new normal and I need to understand it is not going to stop. So be polite, be happy and keep it short and sweet as possible to avoid getting all melancholy. I can't stand to see women cry. Wishing you all the best.
    Age 52
    Cancer in lymph nodes found in neck, back of abdomen, between both lungs and cancer cells found in bone marrow test.
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Learning as I go.

Senior User
    Ok, grandbaby #9 arrived at 4:38am on 4-27-2017. Super excited. That is 7 born since I was diagnosed. I can not tell you all how great that is.
    Age 52
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Learning as I go.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bank Walker View Post
    Ok, grandbaby #9 arrived at 4:38am on 4-27-2017. Super excited. That is 7 born since I was diagnosed. I can not tell you all how great that is.
    Congrats! Another beautiful child to spoil rotten before giving back to mom and dad! Girl or boy?
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. >50 tumors, marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Haploidentical Allogeneic Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Blood nose dive. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment official - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives. DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), + 4 immunosuppressant drugs.

I have been chosen to suffer, therefore, I am blessed. Knowing the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

"What is faith? It is that which gives substance to our hopes, which convinces us of things we cannot see"
    - Hebrews 11:1

Senior User
    Boy, Wyatt. 8lbs 6 ounces. 19.5 inches long. Beautiful baby. Looks like his mom. We are blessed.
    Age 52
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Learning as I go.

Boy, Wyatt. 8lbs 6 ounces. 19.5 inches long. Beautiful baby. Looks like his mom. We are blessed.
    You truly are, Bank, you truly are...may Wyatt life a long, healthy and interesting life!

Good health,

kermica