A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Error with Cured!!!

Experienced User

Error with Cured!!!

Good morning to all of my friends,
    The other day I made a huge mistake and posted that "I am cured"
    I did not realize at the time that that word cured was considered a bad word or at least I got the impression that it was taboo.
    I believe in what I stated and I am sorry for giving anyone the idea that I was not sincere. I like this forum because I can communicate with folks in my position and we all have something in common.
    I have been at war with this PC just like the rest of you . I fell I have won a battle and to date nobody can show me proof to the contrary.
    I did received some great replies from some folks that are on the front lines of the war and got some great advice. There were other that appeared to be shocked by the word cure and became suspicious to say the least.
    I again believe that I have at least won this battle,however I no the war can resume at any time with PC.
    I received emails as well as phone calls and heard some great stories with happy endings to date and I also heard some terrifying stories that made me almost feel guilty for having the confidence that I have mustard up.
    For the most part my post was well received. For the folks that were hanging on every word and thinking that my thoughts and feelings were less that sincere was simply a thought born of ignorance.
    I have exposed my email for those who would like to have contact with me and I think you will find that I am just a normal guy that simply made a mistake by using a word that would cause so much controversy.
    Again I am sorry for the poor post and I will never use that unfair word again.
    Good luck to all.
    Art
    DX 4-2010 T3 G-7 8 of 12 cores 75% +covered
    PSA 4-2010 4.1
    HT 5-2010 Lupron 4 month shots
    PSA .5 6-2010
    T >.3 6-2010
    External Beam 5-2010
    Heart attack 7-2010
    Seed implant 10-2010
    6 Month shot Trelstar Jan 21st PSA .1 March 2011
    T 1.0 March 2011
    PSa .1 June 2011
    July 2011 T level 8.0 started triple HT
    Casodex daily, 4 month shot Lupron, 6 Month Trelstar T level 4.0
    Told triple HT for 3 years
    I am Cured Battle is over
    Started TRT 11-28-12

The reason in my opinion that your post was not brilliantly received was because you felt like you were cured yet your Onc wished to continue treatment.
    The word cure is not a taboo word at all as many can claim to be cured at the magic marker of five years, which seems to be a pretty universal number for cancer to my knowledge. not 16months. Even after that time people can still relapse.
    I have been in remission for 18 months and wouldn't even think of uttering the word cured till that time.

I hope I am cured too. I hope you are as well but only time will tell that and regular follow up tests are a must for a while.

Wishing you luck.
    Aussie, age 59
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo or hap transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable. All I needed to hear. I am pumped and ready. BRING IT ON

Top User
    Tiredofbeingsick,

I do not believe any of us are offended by your post. My heart goes out to you and your family for what you have endured.

All the posts are well intentioned as I suspect some were somewhat worried that by proclaimed to be cured and started the testosterone therapy, you might mess up your "cured".

We are here to support you and whatever your decision. Yes, some are more willing to give you counter points, but all of us wish you success in fighting your prostate cancer.

Take care of yourself and spend time with your family. For me, they are what make life worth living.

Experienced User
    Hello guys,
    I guess I should explain a little.
    Right now I cannot find any facts to warrent letting this HT slowly and maticulously break down my body.
    I am a person who thinks using logic most of my life and I also have the ability to thinkoutside of the box.
    I have to believe I am past this C part of my life and want to get back to normal asap.
    My personality will not allow for being on the fence, in other words I either have cancer or I don't, no in between or maybe or remission for me. That discribes manic depressive disorder I know but tough stuff. I am either way up high or very very low, there is no in between for me. "Working on that though"
    Since there has been no evidence presented to me for 16 months that would warrent staying on poisons and that I even still have cancer, then I must be cured in my mind. I will check periodically to see if any changes have been taking place with my #s as per the advice of my friends on the forum, but even if i am wrong, then i will have a few more years of fun. then I may have to start over again but it is what it is.. worrying all of the time does a certain amount of damage over time as well and this is the only way that I am able to stop worrying about something that may not even exist in me anymore.
    My proclamation of being cured is what I believe and I plan to live my life believing that this battle has been won.
    Art
    DX 4-2010 T3 G-7 8 of 12 cores 75% +covered
    PSA 4-2010 4.1
    HT 5-2010 Lupron 4 month shots
    PSA .5 6-2010
    T >.3 6-2010
    External Beam 5-2010
    Heart attack 7-2010
    Seed implant 10-2010
    6 Month shot Trelstar Jan 21st PSA .1 March 2011
    T 1.0 March 2011
    PSa .1 June 2011