A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dad pancreatic cancer - medical benefit alternatives

Hi,

Well that's good news -- for the moment. He still needs to apply for SSDI though as that will give income.

Thanks for the update and I hope he is doing as well as can be expected.

Keep us posted.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    So my dad is currently receiving State Disability Insurance (SDI)

Im trying to get him to apply through SSA but do not know the difference between:
    Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) - i think this is what is known as social security
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - this is state disability?? But can be combined with social security ??
    State Disability Insurance (SDI) - this is basically short term disability through his work and state??

Can someone shed some light on this?

I'm sorry! This one throws me for a loop. I honestly don't have a clue what is what and the latter two may depend on the state you live.

I found a link for SSI at the Federal Government's site for the State of CA: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11125.pdf

Here is the main Federal Site where that web link was given under "Learn about SSI Benefits" http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/ssi.htm

Part of the CA link says:
    Medical assistance
    If you get SSI, you usually can get medical assistance (Medi-Cal) automatically. A separate Medi-Cal application is not necessary. If you have questions about Medi-Cal, contact your local county welfare office.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you've got a whopper headache sorting through this stuff.

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    Thank you pbj11 for the info. A little update:

So my father applied for SSDI which is social security disability here in california. He was accepted within 2 weeks and received his first check in 3 weeks. Also at the same time he applied for SSDI, he applied for SSI which is supplemental income help. this was all done at the social security office. So for now he is paying for cobra, and since he was determined disabled during the first 60 days of cobra coverage, his cobra benefits will be extended from 18 months to an additional 11 months for a total of 29 months. After two years of being on social security disability he will receive medicare automatically. He was declined for SSI though because he was receiving too much from SSDI. The good news is that he can collect is work disability along with the SSDI which will help him with his cobra payment and hospital bills =)

I know its real confusing thats why i posted in case someone is in a similar situation.

Newbie New User
    That's some good news about the COBRA. I know usually the COBRA is too expensive and doesn't last long. It seems most people look at private or short term health insurance as a result. But it sounds like the coverage is all figured out. I hope your father is in good spirits and things go well.
    Last edited by TammyK; 04-15-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Tammy - mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by TammyK View Post
    That's some good news about the COBRA. I know usually the COBRA is too expensive and doesn't last long. It sounds like the coverage is all figured out. I hope your father is in good spirits and things go well.
    yes cobra is expensive, usually double the cost of what you normally pay for if you are working and pay health insurance. My dad had to take my mom off his policy to save money. Lucky she was able to get health insurance through her work. He is paying for himself what normally he would pay for himself and my mom on the policy. But as long as he is covered, he has one less thing to worry about. thank you for your wishes

Senior User
    Since I am about to end health coverage and cobra is so costly I contacted medicare. Even though I got quick disability approval due to Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, I was told that medicare does not become available for 2 years from disability approval date. It is also stated on the government web site. It is upsetting since I will have no income and cobra is more than my disability payment! I get your Dad's stress!

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by teacher1 View Post
    Since I am about to end health coverage and cobra is so costly I contacted medicare. Even though I got quick disability approval due to Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, I was told that medicare does not become available for 2 years from disability approval date. It is also stated on the government web site. It is upsetting since I will have no income and cobra is more than my disability payment! I get your Dad's stress!
    yes. it is very important to apply for permanent disability as soon as you are diagnosed with stage 4 to get the medicare timeclock going. also if you are on disability from work, you can double up and receive social security disability income at the same time. of course your edd check will expire in a year from the time you went on your disability leave from work. but during that year you can get those 2 checks to help you out. other than that, if you are able to go to work with accommodations it would be advised to keep your benefits which is hard having to go to chemo and dealing with the effects of cancer. best of luck to you