A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: A Yank a letter of Support from a UK hospital for his fiancee

Newbie New User

A Yank a letter of Support from a UK hospital for his fiancee

I came from the US to take care of my fiancee living in the UK who is suffering from cancer. I came to be with her for her 5 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy treatment. I was planning to go back to the US at the end of her treatment but realized that she would need me for her recovery, not to mention the major surgery to remove the cancer in December. I skipped my plane and am here and will be until she goes through and recovers, probably in February. I can remain here as a visitor until the end of April (I've checked this out with the UK Border Agency).
    The problem is, I've spent all of my savings coming here and she doesn't have much to live on, but she needs me and I need to be here. The Royal Free Hospital had written a letter to me saying that my girl needs me to help her through this (she has no available friends or family). I'm trying to find what kind of help I can get in terms of finding employment or gaining financial support to keep me here to help her. I know it's a shot in the dark, but I need to try to get as much info as possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I remember when you were thinking about going to the UK or not. I'm glad you decided to go and help her. Is there a system there for her to sign up for that would be like our Welfare? Food assistance? Contact the equivalent of our social services to see what financial help is available for her. You know you're not staying, so look for a part time job locally to help with the costs. Go for something that has a high turnover rate -- like retail or fast food. They're always hiring.

You can always contact the American Embassy and explain the situation, but not sure if there would be any financial support available through that means.

I'll keep thinking.

God bless and I hope she's doing as well as can be expected. You're a good guy.

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Newbie New User
    I would contact the American Embassy. They should be able to help you find a job or get a visa so you can get a job while you are there. You might be able to get some type of benefits from the states. They may also be able to help with international medical insurance for you while you're there.
    Last edited by TammyK; 04-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Tammy - mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer

Newbie New User
    Has your fiance applied for housing benefit, council tax benefit? Is she getting statutory sick pay or sick pay from an employer? If you contact Macmillan Cancer Support they have financial advisors who can talk you through what is available. They also do grants that you can apply for if you are undergoing treatment. Wherever she is being treated should have leaflets and contact details etc for Macmillan

tara,
    I think that this has been dealt with by myself and others way back in 2011.
    We made similar suggestions to yourself regarding social and welfare support but we don't know what happened as he hasn't posted updates for many months.
    Please stick around its good to have someone else from the UK that can offer support and practical advice.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.