A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Counseling/therapy

I don't believe that there is any stigma attached to seeking counseling or therapy during stressful periods in your life like this. We provide this option in our office for our patients because I don't want there to be any barriers in getting help. The Romans had a saying, "Mens sana in corpore sano" which means a healthy mind in a healthy body. If you cure cancer, but leave the mind permanently scarred, you have accomplished very little.

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by markmd View Post
    I don't believe that there is any stigma attached to seeking counseling or therapy during stressful periods in your life like this.
    It's not as bad as it used to be, but oh yeah, it's still there, make no mistake.

If you cure cancer, but leave the mind permanently scarred, you have accomplished very little.
    I doubt many cancer patients would agree, but see what you're saying. Certainly emotional concerns should be addressed.

think about it- its the people who need the help but dont want to go because THEY feel like theres a stygma attatched to it.
    I think people should be looked upon in a positive way- for why are they going? to better themselves and resolve problems so they can move on. I think that its a commendable thing to do.
    after all isnt it most peoples goals to be the best they can be? if the roads full of clutter one must clear it to move on.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

It is so easy to get so overwhelmed by this disease of cancer that we really can find it difficult to see options. I personally think it is an advantage to be able to talk with (and to get meds if needed) with someone who is not personally involved. My husband was so distressed that all I did when I talked with him was make it harder for him. I could talk about the distress I was feeling with my shrink as I call him, and it made it much easier for me. i still see him periodically and frankly have discovered that surviving after thinking you would die soon, is another whole adjustment. I don't see going to my "shrink" makes me any weaker. I live my life fully enjoying friends, family and my job, gardening, and especially grandkids with just occasional anxiety when MRI's come around. Counseling can help us move through our steps of grief and help us to live with the uncertainty we all live with.
    Female ,age 70, Diagnosed Jan 2010
    Primary CNS DLBCNHL
    Treatment every 6 weeks with High dose MTX and Rituxan for 9 months.
    Tumors shrunk and one was gone in 4 months and the larger one left some brain damage but has not become active as shown on MRI since Aug 2010.
    Since 2012 monthly Rituxan
    High Dose MTX and MRI every 4 months.
    June 6, 2014 NED
    No more chemo 6/2014

I also was a little sceptical....initially when my now DH was diagnosed we had a counsellor come to our place and basically asked my DH how he felt about dying (age 30)....not the right question for her to be asking and although she was just a person, it left us both wondering whether they could help. After all there is no magic fix to this and nothing anyone can say can make it all better. However, since then, I have started seeing a psychologist and while I haven't spoken a lot about the cancer issues...it has helped me a great deal, I tend to sometimes see the world negatively and she helps me to put the balance in again. Also, I get real anxiety and just knowing I am going to see her, helps. I write down something that is bothering me and then I know I can talk about it freely to her. In terms of my DH, he is in a different boat...he is the one with cancer and doesn't want to talk. I get that; he doesn't want to be asked his feelings about it all (let's face it, it's rubbish) but wants to just get out there and live.

I am trying to see if we can afford counseling. None of us have been the same since we found out about my 65 year old husban's PTCL-NOS diagnosis. I took it the hardest at first but now my son and, finally, my husband is. He just had his 4th.Chemo and it's hit him hard. He doesn't want the last 2 because the 3rd and especially the 4th. Have been so hard. Our son came over today and they talked a bit. My husband is only 3 days out from his last chemo and already trying to keep a routine. He tried to walk to his desk, got dizzy and our son caught him. We got him back in bed where he seemed terrified. He's losing his hearing and seemed super upset, telling to please not argue. We were not arguing. He seemed so upset. He HAS been eating so much and he tells me to hurry up and get it. He eats it all.
    I could see the look in our son's eyes. He's so scared and so am I. I think counseling is a must but it's so expensive.