A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Radiation Therapy -Undecided

Regular User

Radiation Therapy -Undecided

My name is Scott and I am 54 years old.
    Diagnosed 12/23/11
    PSA 10.8
    Gleeson 4+4=8
    Most zones on right side are cancerous, left side looks clean

RP surgery is where I am headed and there is no way around that. My doctor has done thousands of Da Vinci surgeries so the surgery doesn't worry me a whole lot -the radiation does. He has suggested that I get about as much radiation as possible after surgery -no seeds or focused radiation but pretty much blast the whole area "and then you should be okay". I understand his thinking as I do have an aggressive cancer.

How can I make an informed decision on the post-surgery radiation treatment? Can anyone tell me of similar experiences and decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott111 View Post
    My name is Scott and I am 54 years old.
    Diagnosed 12/23/11
    PSA 10.8
    Gleeson 4+4=8
    Most zones on right side are cancerous, left side looks clean

RP surgery is where I am headed and there is no way around that. My doctor has done thousands of Da Vinci surgeries so the surgery doesn't worry me a whole lot -the radiation does. He has suggested that I get about as much radiation as possible after surgery -no seeds or focused radiation but pretty much blast the whole area "and then you should be okay". I understand his thinking as I do have an aggressive cancer.

How can I make an informed decision on the post-surgery radiation treatment? Can anyone tell me of similar experiences and decisions?
    Your surgeon is proposing surgery+adjuvant radiation. If that is the case, why don't you investigate doing radiation only (external or seeds) without surgery. The result of radiation might be better for aggressive type. Also, your side effects might be less with radiation only treatment.

Read the book by Dr. Patrick Walsh. There are a lot of useful information in there to help you make your decision.

Senior User
    Scott,

My uro wouldn't operate because he was positive that I would also need radiation. He didn't want to subject me to the risks and side effects of surgery if it wouldn't be curative. The really good surgeons don't operate on high risk situations. Actually brachytherapy (permanent seeds or HDR) and IMRT/IGRT radiation is more effective than surgery for the high risk situations. You need to get some more opinions. Study brachytherapy on the following sites: for HDR check www.cetmc.com, and for seeds check www.prostrcision.com.

Jack

Scott,
    With hIgh risk PC you should get a couple of unbiased 2nd opinions from a medical oncologist specializing in prostate cancer.
    Some type of combination treatment Surgery and radiation or seeds and extertnal radiation is warrented and it should also be given with a year of Hormone therapy.
    Surgeons are usually out of their skill levels when dealing with the high risk type of this disease and you have two high risk factors. You should also be far more worried about the after effects of surgery than of radiation.
    psa at diagnosis 40 in nov-08
    gleason 6 and 7
    Treatment choice seeds and IMRT