A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: And Then There's Hope

Newbie New User

Red face And Then There's Hope

Hello All, This is my first post here and with any luck it will be one of hope. When my first son was just 10 months old, a mere infant, completely innocent, beautiful and with nothing but opportunities in front of him; the sickness came out of no where. He was diagnosed with Leukemia and to further complicate things he would have the Acute Myelogenous Leukemia with Monosomy 7 flavor. This is typically found in adults, only 2% of all cases occurred in children under the age of 5, and there were 0 survivors in that age group. I went through all of the emotions that a parent goes through. I was 25 then and still figuring out life myself. The best Doctors at NYC's Columbia Presbyterian told me to enjoy each day with him and gave him 3 months expectancy. But it didn't end there. If there was a God, I despised him at this point. Torturing an infant with such an insidious disease was beyond my realm of understanding and so I did all I could do for my son to stay in the game. You know all to well the horrific emotions, the sickness in your gut, the rage in your heart, I used it to push me on into the next day. Mind you I stayed positive with those around me, it's a hard mindset to explain, but you know it.

Long story short, and I will be happy to go into details for anyone who needs it just contact me. We learned that with a BMT there was maybe, possibly a very minute chance that we could buy him some time. However all of the BM registries came up blank. We organized blood drives to have people tested but nothing showed. Timing was getting to a critical point so we did several rounds of chemo and transfusions to keep him going. Meanwhile we brought a sister into the world for him in hopes of a match. The was no match but she is a wonderful sister and daughter. When hope seemed loss a match was found in France and an untried regimen was being tested in Wisconsin by a Dr. Daniel W. Pietryga. T-Cell depletion was new at this time and my son was the first child to use the drug zofran. Today, January 11, 2012, Anthony celebrates his 21st birthday. Alive and well he was declared cancer free at age 6.

If you have any questions or just need someone to talk to feel free to contact me anytime.

Bill

Regular User
    Hi Bill,
    That's an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it and congratulations on seeing your son turn 21! I'm considering undergoing some non-standard treatments myself and it's so lovely to hear that your son pioneered the way successfully.
    Yours,
    Natasha

Regular User
    Wow! That’s very inspiring!
    Congratulations! Anthony turns 21!
    Thanks for posting it here!

Thank you for sharing your story of hope. I have stage 3 breast cancer and hope is what keeps me going. I truly believe that a positive attitude combined with positive action can bring about miracles!
    Cancer Warrior
    www.perksofcancer.com

Thanks for sharing such an uplifting story-in this cancer path of never-ending pain and uncertainty it is nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel

Newbie Regular User
    Wonderful Story of Hope! If more hope is needed =I am a Stage 4 Colon Cancer survivor after 6 months of chemo and other treatment approaches...Pleased to share my experience if contacted. Best to all, GQ

Bill, What a wonderful birthday to celebrate, I hope you all had the best time. I read these stories to keep me going and give me hope and I feel so good that your son is a survivor and that you can still love your son while he's on this earth. I do understand the mindset of staying positive, I try and fill my thoughts with anything positive I can read, or watch, or listen to, and my family has been great and upbeat as well (although sometimes their tears do show themselves). I was diagnosed with Oligodendroglioma stage 2 late last year, had brain surgery and radiation and am on the road to recovery although so tired each day still. I don't complain because I'm so grateful to be alive.