A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Blunt Truth About Terminal Colon Cancer

Newbie New User
    Thank you for posting this detailed explanation of the process. While it's all hard to hear, if one knows what is to come one can better prepare to deal with the reality so I can be strong and supportive.

Newbie Regular User
    I have stage 4 cancer and sometimes I feel like I want to know the truth, but I don't know if knowing will make me worry more and therefore having a worse effect on myself. I read the signatures of everyone. I see some have to say goodbye in a year time and some have gone for 3 or more years. I hope I will be here a while longer. I want to know how much time I have left but I dare not ask. I just want to see my son grow older, he's only 4 years old. He doesn't understand life and death. I don't know how he will take it. I keep thinking about that.

Newbie New User
    Americian Daugher,

I am truly sorry to hear about your mum-Terminal cancer of any type not just colon is end of life specially if its a rare type- People die and people survive for many many years and even becomes cancer free- its the way you fight the cancer- some goes for chemo some do not who goes for chemo think it will cure them sadly it does not once chemo started there is no way back it will damage every single orgien in the body kill the immune system make your life like zombie may be it extend the life for few months but its no cure and cancer will come back soon or later more chemo and then its end of life -because chemo create secondary cancer so may be it has killed one type of cancer cell but has created another type.I have colon cancer with a single met on liver refuse chemo it has been 8 months enjoying my life to full if I die tomorrow of the cancer so what at least I have not suffered by chemo like so many other people and if they do survive for few years then they suffer side effect of chemo year after years so fact of the matter is every one has to leave earth sooner or later no one is going to live for ever and every one time is written to die either by cancer or any other mean so when time comes it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by farahat View Post
    Americian Daugher,

I am truly sorry to hear about your mum-Terminal cancer of any type not just colon is end of life specially if its a rare type- People die and people survive for many many years and even becomes cancer free- its the way you fight the cancer- some goes for chemo some do not who goes for chemo think it will cure them sadly it does not once chemo started there is no way back it will damage every single orgien in the body kill the immune system make your life like zombie may be it extend the life for few months but its no cure and cancer will come back soon or later more chemo and then its end of life -because chemo create secondary cancer so may be it has killed one type of cancer cell but has created another type.I have colon cancer with a single met on liver refuse chemo it has been 8 months enjoying my life to full if I die tomorrow of the cancer so what at least I have not suffered by chemo like so many other people and if they do survive for few years then they suffer side effect of chemo year after years so fact of the matter is every one has to leave earth sooner or later no one is going to live for ever and every one time is written to die either by cancer or any other mean so when time comes it comes.
    farahat, I'm sorry to learn that you have cancer, and I'm even more sorry that's the information you have received regarding chemotherapy and modern treatment options.

No matter which treatments one opts for or rejects, the one thing cancer can teach us all--patients, caregivers, family & friends--is to live life to the fullest, appreciating every moment of every day.

We're all going to die some day; the question is whether or not we're at peace with that. Some of us are, and plan to slide into home with gusto. Sounds like you're of that camp. I raise my glass to you, my friend.

MM
    Caregiver to my significant other.
    May 2008: transrectal procedure for Stage I CRC. Age 59
    April 2013: Finally "sick enough" to go to the Dr. CAT scan.
    May 2013: PET scan, surgical biopsy. DX'd terminal, inoperable, recurrent, metastatic, hypermetabolic StageIV CRC w/mets to liver & lymph node in neck
    June 2013: Port placement. Oxaliplatin, Erbitux, Xeloda
    August 2013: PET scan; NED
    September 2013: surgical repair of inguinal hernia
    November 2013: PET scan; NED
    January 2014: Changed out oxi for Irinotecan; continue Erbitux, Xeloda
    March 2014: PET scan; NED

Thank You so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know. My 84 y.o. daddy has had blood in his stool and urine for months now. The urologist requested that he get the colon thingy done, so off the the VA hospital this a.m.. He has a tumor larger than golf ball right on the inside of his rectum. They took a biopsy, but the doc said it didn't look good. He suggested a ct scan but my daddy is refusing treatment. He also has a macroadenoma pituitary gland tumor, prostate cancer, congested heart failure, diabetes, I think that is it. I just wanted to know about how much time he has and what to expect. I think I need to know things like brown fluid coming out of his nose, if I didn't know, I would flip the flop out.
    Thanks again.
    Tess

So agree. I am stage four now with cancer in my liver, abdomen and lungs. I make my family read this, and yes I want to know too, though it is different for everyone of course.

Dulce
    Rectal Cancer diagnosed Valentines Day 2008 - stage 3
    Finished 6 weeks of radiation and chemo 4/23/08
    Surgery to remove tumor - June 18th 2008
    Colostomy Reversal August 20th 2008
    Chemotherapy 5 months (Xeloda) finished Christmas 2008
    Local recurrence found May 2011
    Permanent colostomy and salvage APR surgery June 3rd 2011
    Stage 3C - 4 of 12 lymph nodes involved
    Finished 12 treatments of FOLFOX 6 - January 17th 2012 - Happy Dance!
    March 2012 - clean CAT Scan
    August 2012 - Cancer moves to stage 4
    CAT shows cancer cells implanted in pelvis/abdomen
    September - PET shows lung lesion 1.4 x 1 cm
    October - begin sessions of Folfiri.3 - Avastin, Irotecan, 5fu
    February 2013 - tumors shrinking, continuing biweekly chemo
    April 2013 finished all 12 Folfiri treatments, scan shows only lung lesions
    May - October Blessed chemo break!
    October 2013, scan shows more growth in pelvis and lungs
    Continue with biweekly Folfiri.3 - Avastin, Irotecan, leucovorin, 5fu
    April 2014 CAT scan shows tumors in liver
    June 2014 More tumor growth, stop Irinotecan cocktail after two years
    June 2014 Begin Regorafenib (Stivarga)

Newbie New User
    Although it hard and painful to read your story,it has shown what we are in for the later stages of my husbands cancer.

My 29year old daughter died due to a car accident last year. Ed and I had only started a relationship, he held me up for 2 months until we took her off life support. We were married last month, in the process of building a home and Bam..Stage 4 colon, rectum,liver, and 4 nodes. He has 20% chance of living 5 years..But I will be his angel for the rest of his life how ever long that maybe.

Thank you for being honest about the road we will travel.

Newbie New User
    I am so sorry for your and your mom's suffering. My mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 metastasized to liver. She is 86 and has severe COPD. I just hope to god she dies before the worst of it. My heart is breaking.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    bponk

I am sorry to hear about your Mom.

Please feel free to create your own unique thread. .

Lisa