A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Tips to make the PC journey easier

Regular User
    Does anyone know the difference between Folfironox and Gemzar? I was treated with the latter and didn't suffer the negative side effects of other chemo therapies. However, I did receive anti-nausea infusions each session prior to my Gemzar infusions. After these sessions I felt well enough to go out for an occasional Thai lunch and also do my grocery shopping before driving the 30-minute drive back home.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow not View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between Folfironox and Gemzar? I was treated with the latter and didn't suffer the negative side effects of other chemo therapies. However, I did receive anti-nausea infusions each session prior to my Gemzar infusions. After these sessions I felt well enough to go out for an occasional Thai lunch and also do my grocery shopping before driving the 30-minute drive back home.
    Folfirinox is much more powerful than Gemzar and the side effects for some people are really bad. Luckly, my dad didn't have any side effects with Folfirinox. He had 8 cycles of Folfirinox and 1 cycle so far of Gemzar. Gemzar is only 1 chemo treatment, where Folfirinox is 4 . ( oxaliplatin, 5-fu, Irrinotecan and leucourin)

Hi Daddysgirl32, I have tried the heat pack on my husbands shoulders and they helped. Thanks for the tip.

\\
    Quote Originally Posted by Queensville View Post
    Hi Daddysgirl32, I have tried the heat pack on my husbands shoulders and they helped. Thanks for the tip.
    I am so glad you tried the rice heat pack. My Poppy(Dad) sure did enjoy it. Their muscle mass starts to get less and he would say how his shoulders would ache.

GOD BLESS!!! Keeping Your Husband and You in My PRAYERS and THOUGHTS!!!
    daddysgirl32

Playbook. We purchased a 7 inch playbook. It turns out that the bonus features have been the camera and particularly the video. Because it is so portable and is always in my purse I have started videoing the day to day things hubby and I do in this journey - both with friends and with him at the hospital. ie: he was getting a catscan so he was gowned up. The naughty person in me turned on the video and started videoing him in the waiting room with all the other gowned patients. After telling him I liked his blue dress he asked me on video what I planned on doing with film? I told him I was going to post it on Youtube. There was such a roar of laughter from him and the patients who were watching this silliness that the moment was absolutely wonderful to catch on film. So ya - a playbook for the internet while on the go, and video/camera and portability make my list of things that ease the journey.

Since his mobility is limited from the peripheral neuropathy I have also started videoing things that I do without him so he can see what I've been doing when I'm gone- so he can feel part of the of the world 'out there' and part of our lives.

The Playbook sounds SO AMAZING Queensville and it sure seems to bring some Brightness into the Journey you and your husband are having to face. What a wonderful joy to filming as you are out and making your Husband part of it,I am sure this brings a lot of smile and tears. I wish I could done that with My Poppy. Although I did take some video's of Poppy and Our Granddaughter Lily who was born Feb. 20th 2011. So she can she how much that Poppy adored her and her him. Plus I have one of Poppy riding his bike on a day he felt pretty good. As we know they will have Good days and Bad ones, so take all you can and tell your husband waiting to see him in his Blue Dress!!!! That was GREAT!!!!

Keeping you Both in My PRAYERS and THOUGHTS!!!! GOD BLESS!!!!!
    daddysgirl32

Hi Yellow not, I'm so glad your husband purchased you an electric blanket. Warmth is so important - and like you said - so is a pet. Our cat has been extra loving to hubby. When hubby is watching tv our cat sits in between his legs or on his belly. Kitty never did it this much before. Seems the two men are comforting each other.

Electric Easy Chair Our daughter and me bought hubby a new GIGANTIC corner couch for our livingroom that had an easy chair on each end. The size of the couch is so we can all comfortably lie down together but the big bonus has been the electric easy chair portion of the couch. Thank goodness it's not manual because hubby would not have the strength to operate a regualar one. The electic one leaves him with his dignity as he doesn't have to ask for help if he wants to lean back. The bonus is that he gets to brag about the feature to anyone who comes in an how we bought it for him. So this tip scores on three points in that it is good for me/our daughter as well

Senior User
    Our yellow lab, Max, is so cuddly with my husband. It always brings a smile to his face, no matter how bad he is feeling. Max just knows when more love is needed. . Dogs are the best.
    "May you be held in compassion; May your pain and suffering be eased; May you be at Peace"

Yup, pets are great too. Love and snuggles from everyone.