A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Tips to make the PC journey easier

Senior User
    My adopted papillon is at my side constantly. He seems to know when I am feeling sad or not so well and is particularly attentive. I worry about him when I am gone, as he is very attached.

Renewal of Vows/Party We have scheduled a Renewal of our Vows, complete with church and all. Planning this has been a wonderful diversion from the reality of what the doctors have told us is about to come. So.... I have a chifon white dress that is appropriate for my 49 years, our teenage daughter has a chifon dress that is basically tie-dyed in nature. The church ladies are doing the food at $8/plate for sandwiches so that is pretty good. Hubby tried out his favorite suit, which he now can fit into because he has lost some of his middle aged spread. Hubby and daughter have also bought a wonderful guest book and the cake will probably come from a big box store.

We thought the song that I walk up the aisle may be 'How sweat it is to be loved by you'. It's fun and because we are already married, we don't have to be serious like a real wedding. But we aren't completely set on it. The do is in the afternoon so hubby wont be tired out.

I think this is a better idea then just waiting for the end don't you? Do something fun. As they say... 'When all else fails - have a party'.

Queensville
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Take the Time with each other

We have take our daughter out of school so she can spend time with her dad before the pain starts. We talked with the school and since she is an honor student they will simply give her the marks she holds as her final marks then wave exams. They recognize that in the real world, a caregiver holding a job would be allowed time off in these circumstances, so why not a student as well? What's the difference?

So, since she is going to be away for the summer doing something she loves we are giving her the time to spend with him now. We discussed the reality of her being away this summer before she made her application. My husband insisted she go. He said it would make him happy. But as we all know with this disease there is a risk that when she comes home, she may be accompanied by a chaplain. So for now, hubby has taken her out to practice her driving, taken her for lunch, given her hugs and done the things you do. She wants to see the new movie 'Hunger Games' with both of us.

We are starting to relax and enjoy each other more as a family.

Queensville
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Had the Wedding Vow Renewal on saturday. It was wonderful. The service was at 2pm and lasted 13 minutes. I was asked by most people ahead of time how long the reception would last. I told them probably not very long because of Hubby but that we would play it by ear - that when they saw Hubby getting uncomfortable then it would be time to leave. This worked like a charm. Everyone noticed his growing discomfort at about the same time so they all casually made their excuses and left. The event was competely done at 4pm. There was not a single stragglers to suggest it's time to leave. Very nice. Everyone had a great time.

Celebrate Each Milestone of Time Hubby has just past one year since diagnosis. Yeah!!! July 22 2011 - July 22 2012. So I bought him a vanilla cheese cake, opened a can of cherry pie filling, poured it over the top then we ate two peices together. When we told some people about the celebration they didn't get it - they thought we were remembering the diagnosis, but 'no' we are celebrating the year of life that he/me and all his team have fought for. God Bless us all. My Hunny is now one of the 20% that make it to one year. We are amazed and grateful.

Tonight we were watching the Dragons Den (Cdn version of Shark Tank), they ate alive a fellow who brought a board game. At about the same time my hubby and I began to laugh about what a Cancer board game would look like and how it would be played. Our suggestions were of the black humor varity but this was the first time we have had a belly laugh at all the hardships/sadness/joys/shocks/ disappointments/ and medical treatment he/we have endured over the last year.

Thank you to everyone here for helping me/us through this.

Queensville

Senior User
    Congrats Queensville to you both!! What a milestone for sure. I read your posts and cry and laugh nearly every time!! and 20%, wow. That's a reality check. Take care, and the prayers continue for you both.
    Many blessings.
    Linda

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean....this is cause for celebration! Tell him to keep up the good work! And PS - I would buy that board game!

Deb
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Senior User
    I am so happy your hubby is home and you guys are enjoying life.
    The play book has been excellent.
    Big hugs to you both!!!
    Love Lorraine

Im glad you like the playbook. One of my friends has an Apple version of my playbook. She says her famiy use it like a telephone only they video themselves talking and leave it like a message - sort of like youtube but easier to get going and send. She said it was wonderful getting a message from her 2 year old grandson sayiing 'I wov you gamma' and being able to see his face at the same time.

Queensville

Senior User
    You are just amazing and wonderful! love and gratitude for all of your posts! You and yours in my prayers. Lise
    "May you be held in compassion; May your pain and suffering be eased; May you be at Peace"