A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Small Tips to make the PC journey easier

Register your cell phone so it can be pinged when lost- so it can be found

I have a Samsung phone and when I registered it online with a Samsung account it had the added feature of being able to find it by computer if it gets lost. It's my understanding that most - if not all - phone manufactures have this capability - BUT - you have to set up the account for this to happen. Definitely worth the time. This type of account also automatically backs up your contacts in the event of a loss where the phone runs out of battery making it permanently unable to be found.

I don't know about any of you but - I didn't have this feature on the phone that I used when hubby was alive and I used to live in fear of loosing my phone and my contacts.

Just a thought.... now that I have a phone that does all this.

Queensville
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Senior User
    I just wanted to add we tried the heating pad....not such a great idea.
    Mom didn't cover her legs...had shorts on...and got 2 nasty burns on her skin due to how fragile her skin is.
    Lesson learned...cover all skin before applying heating pad
    Caregiver/my mom has pancreatic cancer stage 2 inoperable, Diagnosed January 2013(starting seeking help for pancreatitis April 2012)
    Did radiation/chemo pill, a tiny part in the center of the tumor still alive after treatment
    Tried chemo drip, after each round mom needed blood transfusion
    Mom is weak, doctor said she would not administer any more chemo
    September 2013 Mom is now stronger, no longer seeking treatment, coming home
    January2014 Mom living life
    July 28, 2014 Mom is at peace

Queensville
    Last edited by Queensville; 03-04-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Skin Tears Hubby used to bang his elbows a lot. His delicate skin would get terrible skin tears - and always on the weekend of course. Ask the docs or nurse for bandages and info on how to deal with this possibility. We had a kit at home and voila, a nasty cut got dealt with without a trip to the md.

Queensville

Experienced User
    When I was one Gem/Abrax I controlled the foot problem by cooling my feet prior to, and during the Abraxane part of the infusion. The theory is that the cold closes up the small capillaries and allows less of the chemo to enter the area. All I know is that it really worked for me. I took those gel ice packs withe me in a cooler. About 10 minutes before the Abraxane, I put them on the floor covered with a towel, and rested my feet on them. Almost totally eliminated the problem.
    Ask your chemotherapy nurse.

Great tip. I had forgotten that. I used to wrap Terry's feet in tea towels that had been soaked in water then frozen in the freezer; it gave him a lot of relief. I didn't know why but now that you have explained the process that helps me to understand.

Queensville

I don't want to sound like an infomercial but there is a new bandage product that has come out on the market that is the same as the bandages that we got from the hospital - if I knew they existed I would have purchased them.

Nexcare by 3m has excellent 'Wound Dressing' bandages. There are many different types and the sticky part doesn't wreck the skin. They are a little pricey but I wish I had had them on hand before the skin tear thing became an issue on the weekend when the doctors office was closed.

We keep them in the house to this day because they are a much better alternative for people who have delicate skin.

Queensvill

My husband was sent home after Whipple with a feeding tube and supplies for a week. It wasn't determined how long he would need the tube. But after a week he was eating and digesting well so the tube was removed. But in the meantime, the medical supplier kept delivering more supplies to the house. Neither Kaiser nor Apria would take the unopened cases back. Policy.

After checking the web I found a site, Oley.org, where you can list the medical supplies that you have to donate and they will try to match you up with someone who needs them. The person looking for a donation of the supplies will pay for the shipping. I am hoping someone here in the SF Bay Area can be matched up with my donation. These cases of feeding bags and tubes and the nutritional suppliments that are used with them are quite heavy and it seems they would be costly to mail. I really hope they can help me find someone who needs them because I'm tired of all these big boxes stacked in my dining room! We didn't pay for anything, it's part of our Plan, but I know they can be costly for others who need them.

I think that if anyone here needs medical supplies you should check there. They list the types of supplies they can try to hook you up with.