A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: musculoskeletal pain/injuries

Newbie New User

musculoskeletal pain/injuries

Three months since an initial round of chemo and radiation for cervical cancer, and I've been having significant muscle and joint pain, weakness and tendency to get injured -- for the past three weeks I have had both rotator cuffs and one wrist go out ("go out" meaning have acute pain and inflammation that made it impossible for me to lift anything or raise the elbow with the shoulders at all). I work at a fairly strenuous job tossing rough boards across conveyor belts, so I ended up going to the workman's comp doc for a shot and a prescription the first time it happened.

I saw my regular radiation oncologist not long after that, and she said she couldn't fathom cancer or treatment having anything to do with it. (The workman's comp guy is a House-type doc of few words, so he didn't say anything about the cancer info I told the nurse to be sure to note.) The cancer doc said the only explanation she could imagine was that I am "getting old."

Now, I have been in my current job for almost exactly two years -- long enough to be used to the physical stress, but nowhere near long enough to be getting worn down by it. And I am not even six months older than I was when I went into cancer treatment, and I had no problems before or during that time.

I want to suspect kidney damage from the Cisplatin (and an ill- advised hi dose course Ibuprofin I got from the workman's comp doc) and talked to my medical oncologist's nurse about my suspicion a week ago and still haven't gotten any response from the doctor. I hope that means my symptoms (musculoskeltal and foamy urine) don't indicate a problem that needs immediate attention.

Anyone have similar problems after cancer treatment? I'm having a very hard time believing that I am just coincidentally starting to feel old right now. I am 40, by the way, about the median age at my plant. Most of the other workers have been going for more than 10 years with few in the way of repetitive stress injuries.

OTT-Hi welcome- I think your best bet if you suspect that your urine isnt right why dont you trll your doctor youd like him to do a urinalysis. He doesnt think thats odd? I dont hve cancer but was having liver problems at one time and that one of the symptoms I had - It may not have anything to do with your chemo or radiation.
    As far as weakness and easily stressed joinys etc- Have the doctor perform a bone desity scan -that wil probably determine if its more age related or not(just a guess) I have no expertise on this subject.
    I know moms been very weak from treatments but not becessarily having to have anything repaired or repleced shes is 77 and has been doing radiation and chemo for almost 6years now. Yes the bone marrow cell production depletes but doesnt seem to be affecting her that way- sorry I cant help you out-maybe others can.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Check Your Neck

If both shoulders and one wrist are bothering you, it might be a good idea to get an MRI of your cervical spo make sure that problem isn't coming out of your neck.

Quote Originally Posted by markmd View Post
    If both shoulders and one wrist are bothering you, it might be a good idea to get an MRI of your cervical spo make sure that problem isn't coming out of your neck.

THANK YOU. Yes, I'm the former OTT (have been locked out and never got a reply to the e-mail I sent asking what to do about it so had to re-register.).

Now that you remind me, I was having similar pain years ago that a doc said was due to a neck injury. He prescribed muscle relaxers and a cervical collar. Forgot all about that!

Yeah, so maybe my doc wasn't being flip and it indeed has nothing to do with cancer or treatment. :P Still, I bet physical and mental stress has a little to do with it coming back with such a vengeance.

Hi. If you look at the post by you as OTT it says newbie. If you were locked out/banned it would say banned or if you had been a spammer your posts would be gone.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    Hi. If you look at the post by you as OTT it says newbie. If you were locked out/banned it would say banned or if you had been a spammer your posts would be gone.
    Well, I tried everything, even changing my password, to no avail, so Bamabelle's here to stay.