A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any parents of a child with cancer out there?

Any parents of a child with cancer out there?

It looks like its been a while since anyone has posted. Just reaching out to see if there are any others out there.
    Mother to my beautiful 5 year old who has just started battling glioblastoma.

We have hundreds of people reading the boards everyday and I hope this may prompt someone to register and reply.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Hi my son (2yrs old) is battling High Risk Pre B ALL. He was diagnosed in July 2011. I am reaching out to meet people who understand the ups and downs of this rollercoaster that God has chosen us for. I just joined this forum today.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshawna
    Hi my son (2yrs old) is battling High Risk Pre B ALL. He was diagnosed in July 2011. I am reaching out to meet people who understand the ups and downs of this rollercoaster that God has chosen us for. I just joined this forum today.
    Hi,
    My daughter was diagnosed with ALL at 20 months. She endured 2.5 years of chemo and has now been in remission for 3 years!!! She is a happy and healthy 7 year old. How is ur child's treatment going?? As good as ur friends and family are, only other oncology mums understand what u r going thru
    Megan

Im so sorry yall are here with me, hopefully we can be a bit of support for each other.
    Mother to my beautiful 5 year old who has just started battling glioblastoma.

Our son was diagnosed 06/01/2011 with Leukemia PreB Cell

Newbie New User
    My son was diagnosed with T-Cell ALL around 09/21/2011. Can be seen here: Link removed per new user policy Doing well so far with the set backs of course.

Jessie00721
    Last edited by DebbieC; 02-13-2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Link Removal

Newbie New User
    Hi mothers and fathers, you and your children are heroes... this campaign that we are running from today and the next 30 days is a dedication to all you parents and your children.
    Our aim is to bring superheroes to visit children at care houses and hospitals, just a day to bring them some smiles and some hope!

If you could kindly spread the campaign, we'd be so grateful and if your child is staying at a house or hospital please let us know, we'd love to try to get there and have superheroes visit your children!

LInk removed per new user policy. Please pm the poster if you are interested in more info.

Thank you for your time! And bless you all!
    Last edited by DebbieC; 02-21-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Newbie New User
    my daughter was found to have hepatoblastoma not as a baby but as a teenager. Zailynn(my daughters name)came home early from school after running the mile and was short of breathe and a large football size lump appeared on top of her ribs.she said she didnt hurt and we kept her home from school the next day to see if it was swelling or had any problems.The bump,football as we call it didnt go away and that evening we went to the local hospital emergency room. when we finally got in we got a doctors assistant.they didnt have a clue at first so they ran test alot and cat scan xrays. A large problem they took all the test but no one there could read them...... we had to wait for the new zealand doctor to read the scans and test which was hours more waiting.finally the assistant came back in the room and wanted to talk to me and her dad in a seperate room. At this point we knew something bad was happening!he told us it looked like a very large tumor on her liver and they wanted to send us to OSHU by ambulance. Zailynn is afraid of ambulances so we declined and drove so we could all be with her not just 1 parent. The hospital in portland is about 3 hours away talk about a stressful drive . when we got there they put us in 10S with the other sick kids and started ivs and stuff off the ba tand testing some more. By the next morning they did a biopsy and installed a port(they said just in case)!they rushed it through right away and we found out she had rare liver cancer and they had never seen a teenager with hepatoblastoma. Usually found in kids birth to 4 years old.it was smack in the middle of her liver and the size of a football.we couldnt understand as parents how we could have missed it that big.The doctors said the ribs had pushed it back and her running the mile bounced it free from being locked down.who knew livers floated free inside the body i didnt! we went through it all.because of its size and being stage 3 we couldnt do surgury right away if at all. We did over 8 rounds of 4 differant chemos a week including doxirubin i believe its called.?and finally it shrank enough to be put on a transplant list . a month later we got the call and they life flighted zailynn and her dad to stanford in california for the 13 hour surgury. It was a success!! They got the cancer out after 2 1/2 years of sheer hell!so even if they say your cancer or your kids cancer is inoperatable theres always hope. my daughter is now 16 and been cancer free for slightly over a year.we thank every one who helped! Portland oreogn cancer ward for kids is the best ive seen, loved there bedside manners specially with sick kids. Today my daughter is still friends with one of the doctors and textes them atleast 3 times a month in between check ups.)

Newbie New User
    I am not a parent of a child with cancer, but I was a child with cancer. When I was 11 years old, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Now, I am a healthy 20 year old and I look back on my experience with cancer as a positive catalyst in my life. I want my story to bring hope to others, especially to parents with children going through similar circumstances, as I saw how hard the ordeal was on my parents. You can read my story on my blog - Link removed per new user policy. Please read rules for new members at the top of this forum.
    Just remember to stay positive!
    Last edited by DebbieC; 04-23-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Link removed