A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat when you don't want to......

Experienced User

What to eat when you don't want to......

I have battled my weight all my life and Ty cancer I'm falling BELOW. Radiation therapy got me from about 175 to 140 in about a month. Treatments slowed down and I'm comfortable at 145. However, stepped on scale today (after dr put me on antibiotic that I ended up being allergic to) and I'm down to 139. Granted the most I ate all weekend was a half box of Mac an cheese. My dr have told me to eat whatever looks good to me, which HeLLO! Should be fun........except.......I don't want anything. Any ideas for small things that seem to go down well, and stay there? I know th mean bad junk food monster, but I'll be damned if the can of Pringles didn't stay down and I actually enjoyed it, so all suggestions appreciated......... Spur my appetite please! Lol

Certainly isn't nutritional but slushes we found were a great boost. Soothed the throat and gave a quick burst from the sugary mix. We have the opposite problem, both of us have gained and extra pant size which wasn't needed.... and they say cancer isn't contagious Just the side effects because when he didn't feel like eating I didn't either but eat right along with him when he does.
    Spouse/Caregiver of 56 yr old male
    Diagnosed Primary CNS Lymphoma 2/2011
    HDMTX Chemo- 8 cycles
    HDMTX Maintenance Chemo- 11 cycles
    Complications: clots, kidney issues, slow clearance of
    chemo, dermatitis
    11/2013 Recurring clots in lungs/legs
    Scan 12-27-13 all clear
    Scan 3-13 all clear
    Next scan in October, done and all clear!
    Went early for scanxiety in Aug 2014, all clear!
    Scan Feb 2015, all clear!

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Are you getting chemo? If you are vomiting after eating you need to get back to the doctor pronto. Vomiting is not normal amd you should always seek medical advice when you experience prolonged vomiting.
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My doctors really got after me when I was underweight about eating too little protein, so I drink protein drinks that have 25 g or more protein in them when I have no appetite at all. When my appetite is so-so, I make a killer milkshake with whey protein powder, whole milk, peanut butter and a little ice cream. I was able to regain the 40 pounds I lost when I got sick, but I had to count calories to do it. Keeping a calorie count helps to motivate me. Avacados have a lot of calories and healthy-type oils, and I like them as a snack. But Fritos are my favorite!

The American Cancer Society has a recipe book of high-calorie, high-protein, low volume meals and drinks here: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Surv...ring-treatment

One of the main tricks is to eat cream-based soups and add a cup of milk powder or a generous dollop of sour cream to them.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

I too have no appatite and have to make sure I eat. I have a protein shake to start the day but then I have to make sure I eat. I am lucky that I love greek food and I have a greek resturant that delivers close by.

josh

I'm in a pretty similar situation ... maxed out at about 200lbs a few years ago, lost about 60 lbs after switching from a desk job to a strenuous occupation, and had to fight the urge to use cancer treatment as an excuse to let myself get skinny.

One thing to remember, docs warn about losing weight, but eating crap to keep fat stores up does nothing to help your body stop wasting and fight cancer. In fact, remaining overweight during and after cancer increases risk for recurrence and other problems.

Article about wasting not being about weight alone at http://www.ajcn.org/content/83/6/1345.full. One about the risk of remaining overweight at http://www.nccn.com/component/conten...-for-life.html. (I found scholarly articles showing worse outcomes for overweight breast and colon cancer specifically.)

Bottom line for me has been to stop watching the scale and make everything I put in my mouth count. High fat plant based foods like nuts, avocados and coconut have zero drawbacks and most, if not all, have been shown to improve nutrition needed to fight and recover.
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

(You don't want to know what got me in the habit of eating well and even when I didn't feel like it: Chantix. Because taking the anti smoking pill made me sick on an empty stomach. That's the lamest incentive ever for eating right, but it did work for me. )
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

Experienced User
    Wow I'm surprised this didn't get too many results. Well I learned in the least few weeks that weight changes A LOT during cancer treatment. I got up to about 160 and now I'm back down to 150ish. My doctor said this, "stop looking at the scale and focus and your goal," which made me realize that I can't be worried unless its really bad because at the end of the day, I'm fighting the "really bad" of cancer.

That being said I have found two things that I can safely said have been rules throughout my treatments. #1 if you don't like the way it looks or smells, don't eat it. And #2 if you really crave it or think about a certain food in a positive way, you should eat it! I have found times when pre-cancer I would have never bought and/or eaten. Like sugar...... Candy, cookies, and the like have been the asin for the gain to 160. But when I went through cervical cancer I really wanted lemon sorbet. I could eat a whole pint of Hagen das lemon sorbet in a setting no problem. And for about 3 months it was all I ate. But I never once threw it up! So I guess I will follow my gut. I don't want the lemon sorbet anymore but have found that I am craving a slushie....... Weird. I tried to make a fruit smoothie at home......no bueno. but I am eating some things so on ads goes the fight. I started chemo on Monday and so far not of many episodes of committing. Thank god for zofran!

Experienced User
    I like your quote bamabelle

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi All

Remember if you put on weight during chemotherapy you will get more chemo as your dose is based on your body weight.
    Last edited by ChemoMan; 05-13-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: clarification
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.