A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to eat when you don't want to......

Experienced User
    GREAT! now I HAVE to go on a diet! lol Im only kidding, but seriously...... I don't want anymore Chemo!

5 things to try when you don't have an appetite

1. Eat on a schedule- small, frequent meals & snacks
    2. Don't eat heavy foods. Nothing fatty, greasy or fried. Carbs are easier to digest.
    3. Physical activity may stimulate your appetite, so keep moving.
    4. Try liquid nutrition between meals like Naked Juice, Odwalla, Orgain
    5. Plan meals with friends or family. Keep it social & you may consume extra calories without even noticing it.

If you like these tips, check out my Facebook page: Cancer Nutritionist

Newbie New User
    My doctors really got after me when I was underweight about eating too little protein,
    so I drink protein drinks that have 25 g or more protein in them when I have no appetite at all.
    Last edited by Brycen; 06-23-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Would that include meal replacement drinks as well and if so, are they okay to drink or do you find them difficult to digest or harmful to the intestinal tract?

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

one answer to putting on weight during or after chemo. There is an energy dense superfood that is delicious. its called Chocolate...not that crappy milk chocolate i mean the real dark chocolate.... A fine dark chocolate is all one could ask for.

Seriously folks dark chocolate is in the same league as broccoli, it is a super food, proven to extend life and improve your health.

As always moderation is the key and with chocolate a little every day makes the doctor go away.
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Good one, ChemoMan!

And, if you're trying to stay sugar free or find yourself putting on too much (it can and does happen ) you can find cacao nibs at the health food store and plain cocoa powder and or unsweetened bakers chocolate at the grocery store.

I love the taste of no sugar chocolate. I often forget about it, but baker's chocolate has great bang for your buck if you are avoiding sugars and looking for fat and chocolate-bar texture.

("How's that sugar-free lifestyle going for you, Bamabelle?"

Uh, I plead the fifth.)
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

Newbie New User
    Megace (prescription drug) is for stimulating your appetite. My wife takes it and it does help. We did the shakes, high protein, high calorie, etc., she just did't want to eat, even though she knew she had to.

I'm sure it can be tough to obtain the appropriate amount of calories at times. So great to hear about Megace...wondering if there are natural herbs that can boost the appetite.
    Have a look at some in-depth information about adenoid cystic carcinoma, including symptoms, treatment methods, prognosis, and more:
    http://adenoidcysticcarcinoma.net